Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in great prices from these sites
Expedia.comUSD 143
MercureUSD 143
PricelineUSD 143
Hotels.comUSD 143
eDreamsUSD 129
CheapTicketsUSD 143
1,540 results
All reviews high street privilege room car park merton college old building central location excellent location eggs benedict within easy walking distance comfortable hotel centre of town cooked breakfast examination england pubs
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 September 2016

Visiting Oxford for two nights, I chose the Mercure for its location and its membership of the Accor Hotel group; as a platinum loyalty member I always try and use these hotels when I can.

While this is quite a nice hotel in terms of aesthetic and charm, I was left feeling underwhelmed and, unfortunately, quite undervalued by my stay.

After checking in, I reached my room to find the window did not close properly, the paint was peeling, and an air conditioning unit was buzzing away outside. After letting reception know the room was not satisfactory, I was relocated to a room on the first floor facing the Examination School.

The rooms are quite small, although that is to be expected with this style of property. The bed was comfortable, with nice sheets. However, although this room did not have an air conditioning unit outside, the window in this room did not latch close properly either, and throughout the night I was disturbed by exterior noise.
I also had some concerns about the cleanliness of my room. Some of my fittings had quite a bit of dust on, the phone looked quite dirty, and the toilet had some dirt around the hinges. My window handles were absolutely caked in dirt – clearly had not been touched by housekeeping for some time. Alongside this, I also found some niggling maintenance issues, the most noticeable of which was the fact the shower button kept popping out of the wall and falling onto the floor when pressed.
When checking into a 4 star hotel I don’t expect to have to go out and buy cleaning supplies for myself, however I felt the need to on this occasion.

I felt there were other fundamental weaknesses in the room offering. The only space I had for clothes was hanging space – no drawers or shelves! The door to my room did not close smoothly (I had to force it shut each time). Further, the housekeeping service appeared to be very basic, only pulling the sheets taught on my bed (not making it up) and replacing towels/emptying bins; my ‘Please Service Room’ sign was still hanging on my door when I returned in the evening, which in my opinion must signify a lack of attention to detail.

The hotel’s public areas were quite nice, however: the bar was welcoming and a nice place to relax, and I enjoyed the restaurant, which provided very nice food, with an excellent dinner menu and good breakfast selection. The free wifi was superior to the offering I have experienced at many hotels and had a good signal with a very decent download speed.

The staff at the hotel were also very nice – check in and out was quick and efficient, and the front desk staff always said hello when I passed by! I was checked out by the same man who checked me in, and this was done without asking for my room number or name; I was impressed by this very personal level of service.

However, on balance, for this money I expect a lot more. While I felt the room design was comfortable, and the hotel as a whole was enjoyable, the fact that some basic areas appear to have been neglected did lead to a rocky stay in some areas. Unfortunately this has led me to consider other properties in the area when I return.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank pidgeoncj
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2016

Thank you for your recent, I am very sorry for the lack of attention to detail with the bedroom you were staying in.

I have spoken in detail with the head housekeeper, and I have also copied in his Regional Manager who will be visiting the hotel, next week, when we will do a spot check on a number of bedrooms as per each visit. Please be assured that this is not our normal standard and the the appropriate action and re-training has been taken.

I am pleased that the rest of the hotel looked after you, and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, enabling you to see all the historic and picturesque sights of Oxford, within walking distance of the hotel.

If you are in Oxford again in the near future, please do not hesitate contact me direct so I may look after your reservation and personally welcome you to the hotel. Our website has our weekly / monthly offer posted on it for our loyal Le Club members.

Kind regards

peter Watt

Reviewed 8 September 2016

This was our second visit to the hotel after a rather disappointing first one. Firstly may I say that after airing my opions manger Peter Watts could not do enough to put things right to which I am truly grateful. The room we had this time was so much better really what my husband was expecting first time round when he booked for a surprise restaraunt running much more smoothly and staff very nice and helpful my daughter came from London with her partner so we spent most of the evening in the hotel bar which was nice I would definitely go back again so much better than the first time once again thank you to the manager for taking my review on board it really shows that they want to get things right

• Trip type: Travelled with family
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Thank you very much for your kind review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the team looked after you.

We have had some changes in the hotel recently and we as a team are now working closer together and all in the same direction.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

With best wishes

Reviewed 7 September 2016

This hotel is an interesting building and offers a great centre for exploring Oxford. The classic rooms are a bit on the small side but many city rooms are like this. The staff are friendly and helpful, the restaurant offers a great choice for breakfast and an italian menu for dining. The bed was comfortable and a lift is welcome when you are no longer young! Wi-fi, a safe, iron & board, tea & coffee making facilities add to the experience.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind review, I was pleased to note that you had enjoyed your stay in the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Townhouse and that the team looked after you.

Oxford is a great and vibrant city, and we are very lucky to be located in the centre and surrounded by the student life of this historic city.

We look fortward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

With kind rtegards

Reviewed 4 September 2016

I chose this hotel for location (excellent in the middle of Oxford) and the chain (Accor). What I didn't consider was parking (difficult) and the fact that this was a restored building, which meant some stairs. This didn't end up being a problem, though.

When we arrived and crammed the car into the small carpark at the hotel, we were met by a Duty Manager (Johnny, I think), who offered to assist us with our bags after we checked in. There were a few stairs to reception but check-in was good.

We were on level 5 and there were a few flights of stairs but Johnny (I really hope I got this name right :-) ) grabbed the bags and before I could finish saying "watch that one it is heavy" he bounded like a gazelle up the stairs with the bags. We had to change rooms the next day (lock problem) and another Duty Manager (Adam) repeated this feat shifting us to level 6 but with both of our large bags, one in each hand. He did comment that he did not need a gym with that job?

Note there are some rooms with lift access, and there appears to be wheelchair access via the restaurant, so if stairs are an issue, I think you could request an appropriate room.

The rooms are a reasonable size (our second room was larger) and the facilities are good. The bathroom is well laid out with a good shower and basin. The amenities are OK with some spares in the cupboard.

The staff were excellent from check in to check out - couldn't be faulted. There is also a restaurant attached that is part of the Marco chain, with pictures of Marco Pierre White all over the place - see separate review.

The location is fantastic with most of the colleges and attractions within a short walk. The hop on bus stop is also a short walk away (recommended for an overview of Oxford). The high street also has some tourist shops and some local artists work was for sale - I think my wife picked up some good pieces that they shipped home for us.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel and would go back if we visit the area again.

Room tip: Levels 1 and 2 have lift access.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
ManagerOxford, Rooms Division Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Dear Alex C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our team to be most attentive. I will share your comments to the team, I'm sure this will be a great moral boost for them.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

With best wishes

Justin Young
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed with a friend one night over the bank holiday weekend. Nice location, very central and we were able to walk around the city. Nicely decorated reception, the room we stayed in was small but clean and nicely decorated. The staff at the hotel were all friendly.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank kathrynj879
ManagerOxford, General Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2016

Thank you very much for your recent review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Oxford and the hotel. Oxford is a great university city and we are ideally located for all the universities and places of interest.

The hotel was refurbished last and I was pleased to read that you like the decor, a couple of the rooms are restricted in space due the age and structure of the building.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

With kind regards