3,559 results
All reviewsmorse barashmolean museummolton brown toiletriesconcierge teamdrawing roominspector morseturn down serviceexecutive roombeautiful buildingbreakfast servicecentral locationcar parkingcooked breakfastold buildinglovely roomvisit oxforddoorman
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I booked the Randolph as a surprise for my partner as neither of us had visited oxford before.
The hotel does provide parking but at a premium of £32 per night which we didn’t know about until I phoned before we arrived. We used pear tree park and ride down the road £8 a day.

The first room we were allocated was like a sauna and the air con was not working. When I informed the reception they said that the chamber maids had also conveyed this information about the room when cleaning it. (So why allocate it)
We were moved to another room which was very nice and a lot cooler than previous.

We enquirers about using the spa facilities (jacuzzi, steam room) which was also in my opinion at a premium cost of £15 per person not great when you are a guest and it’s not cheap to stay at the hotel.
I feel that the Randolph was in its hay day classed as a 5* but in my option definitely not now.

The architecture inside the hotel is truly beautiful, Bed was comfortable and most of the staff were helpful and friendly.

Not a bad hotel by any means but not the best I’ve stayed in.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Thank you for your review of the Randolph Hotel.

Unfortunately, parking in Oxford is severely restricted and our parking area is also not large. We do provide Valet parking and undercover CCTV so your vehicle is always safe with us.

I am disappointed to learn you were allocated a room that the air conditioning was not working in, I will draw this to the attention of the Duty Manager, however, I am glad you were moved to a room that met your expectations.

Our Spa is currently being refurbished, over the course of the last 3 weeks, to a very high standard, so should you visit us again, I hope you do try it.

I am pleased to learn you found the hotel beautiful, it has a charm which closely matches that of Oxford itself, with its grand University buildings and architectural features.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Randolph Hotel again soon.

Kind regards

Simon Drake

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Room was nice and modern and clean. Breakfast in bed was nice. Lifts could do with an upgrade! We ended up just walking down the stairs in the end. That said its a lovely staircase to walk down! Concierge desk very helpful.

1  Thank Alex D
Reviewed 4 April 2018

The Randolph Hotel is centrally located and very convenient. The staff, with the exception mentioned below are friendly and professional. Regretfully the experience in the Morse Bar was very unfriendly and decidedly unprofessional. The barman, Clinton, was offhand and not likely to encourage a long stay in the bar — we left after one brief drink and would not return while Clinton is on duty.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed for little treat, have been before and as it’s not to far from home wanted to get away and be pampered, started well , bags and car dealt with immediately, bit early for room so went for tour round, room ready by 2pm nice room clean and well appointed huge bed, sort of fell apart at dinner went for pre dinner drink but service to slow to make use of , was shown to table fine , but on first impressions felt table was a bit tatty, ordered bottle of red wine , cheapest Chilean £29 did here several table conversations about drinks prices. Ordered starters and mains took far too long to clear starters so had a good hour to main run low on wine , this down to poor trained waiting staff in my view, although very polite, they just didn’t seem to understand productive use of time on the floor etc. Also had to leave table to find someone to get the bill.
To be fair it was the only downer on otherwise enjoyable stay, but to have 5 stars and this fundamental errors is bad news for respected hotels like this. Subsequent reading of other reviews showed this not to be isolated and a pattern. Also noted other diners reporting issues on the night, I also noted that there were no more than 12 tables active in the acanthus restaurant so not an issue of busy restaurant .
Come on Randolph pull it together and address the complaints
Just one other point the breakfast is not worth £21 , particularly as you would have to pay a supplement for kippers etc

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I stayed at this property one night so was not the best experience unfortunately. I am lucky enough to be able to stay at many 5 star hotels in the world but this Hotel unfortunately is not one of them, a 3/4 star hotel at best.
217 UK Sterling, a single room, cannot swing a cat in it for barely 14 hour stay which is fine I have no issue with that but when the housekeeping knock on your door at 9am to ask when you are leaving so they can clean your room alarm bells start ringing. Once at 9am and the second at 10am, come on guys this is not luxury this is a motel.
Poor Quality Hotel living of the fact that the city is so busy there is no choice or lack of choice. if there were more hotels this hotel would sink.
sorry but this is an average property living off the past.
AJ

Room Tip: try to find a quite room, you will struggle, its old and creaky and housekeepers are desperate to get out from their shift.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business