3,567 results
All reviewsmorse barashmolean museummolton brown toiletriesconcierge teamdrawing roominspector morseturn down serviceexecutive roombeautiful buildingbreakfast servicecentral locationcar parkingcooked breakfastold buildinglovely roomvisit oxforddoorman
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

The Hotel is a beautiful old building that has refurbished rooms. It is very well located and within walking distance of all the Colleges and shops and right opposite the Ashmolean.
The Hotel lets itself down with lack of organisation/management of staff in the restaurant and Morse Bar and Drawing Room. In the Bar the staff are all very pleasant and helpful BUT they kept disappearing from behind the Bar leaving it unattended. The same happened in The Drawing Room where we saw people walk away. The Restaurant was very disappointing and the food understated and overpriced. We had a long wait before our starter arrived and had to remind the staff that we had ordered wine. When it came to dessert I decided to have the trifle only to be told it had not yet set (9.30p.m.)!! There was obviously some ""important" customers in as all the restaurant staff were running around serving them whilst ignoring other diners. All this is just lack of management.
As you can see I have still given a 4* and would go back despite the above which could easily be sorted.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy R
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you for your review of the Randolph Hotel and for highlighting in a constructive way your experience with us.

I am very disappointed to learn that you struggled to obtain the attention of staff at times during your stay. While we have been very busy this week, we do pride ourselves on our service and guest attention, and I am very apologetic that you experienced service failures during your stay.

I am also disappointed to learn that you not happy with the food quality and value, I can only apologise and say that this is not the standard we strive for, and I hope you do return to the Randolph Hotel, so we may be afforded the opportunity to show you our full hospitality.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

This 5 stars hotel offer an unique setting in Oxford, the perfect place to relax with everything on your door step. The very impressive building does not disappoint. When you enter you can admire the grand stairs case. The check in was very slow, also the couple in front of us, did not get any help with this frustration. But all was forgotten when we arrived to our room. We enjoyed a classic suite with view over the Ashmolean Museum. The well-appointed suite, offer all the luxury you may require, with private lounge, bathroom with bath and separate shower, Nespresso Coffee machine, complimentary chocolate, wine and water, very large bed with soft linen… It was decorated with taste and spotlessly cleaned. Later a very pleasant room attendants came to complete the turndown service and greeted us with a warm smile when passing in the corridors. The dinner in the Acanthus restaurant offer also a very impressive setting and was the perfect place to enjoy the mouth-watering dishes. On the cold evening it was then such a pleasure to be cocooned by the fire place in the bar. Breakfast is also a lovely experience with a superb buffet. Sadly, we did not have the time to try the spa, but this fabulous hotel is a great destination and deserves another relaxing stay.

Room Tip: The suites are an up-grade well worth it
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne B

Thank you for your very kind and positive review of the Randolph Hotel.

It is always wonderful to have five star reviews, and I am happy to learn that you expectations were met and indeed, exceeded at times.

I look forward to welcoming you warmly back to the Randolph again soon, and I hope you will have the opportunity to indulge in the spa, as we have many treatments available with very qualified and experienced therapists.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Always wanted to stay and finally have. Absolutely fabulous location and within such a historic city. I could write an essay on the whole experience but the key elements for me were
* fabulous room - large clean with all the amenities you could want
a long walk but it is an historic building - unique - very comfortable
* Breakfast was great - Penny makes sure that it runs perfectly - efficient and friendly
* I had not intended having Afternoon Tea - but India was so welcoming and helpful
that it turned out to be a must. ( adore the lemon curd ) For me India was the star -
engaging knowledgeable and enjoyed the tea before returning to London
* William - Reception very helpful - interested in my feedback and able to explain the
set up
My conclusion is fabulous and will be returning later this year
thank you to the team at The Randolph

Room Tip: had a lovely room with light bathroom and walk in shower
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank jonathanrhennessy

Dear Jonathan

Thank you for your very positive, five star review of the Randolph Hotel.

It is extremely uplifting to receive such a glowing review and to know that we have made your experience of staying with us so perfect.

I know that the individual team members you have noted in your review will be thrilled too, and we will all be delighted to welcome you back warmly for your stay with us later this year.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

Staying in Oxford? Well if you want to experience high Victorian grandeur and style I thoroughly recommend the Randolph Hotel. The hotel was built in 1864 and recently celebrated 150 years as a travel destination. It lies immediately across the road from the fantastic Ashmolean Museum, which according to one source was originally called the Randolph Museum. Another great museum to visit is the Natural History Museum and the Pitt-Rivers collection of ethnographic art.

I was attending a technical seminar in the city and only managed an overnight stop, but the hotel is lovely both architecturally and in terms of hospitality, and unchanged since my last visit some 25 years ago.

I particularly liked the Acanthus Restaurant (see photo), we had a great freshly cooked breakfast, and many thanks to Penny the hospitable restaurant manager.

The Randolph, I love it, its what travelling in style is all about.

Steve

Room Tip: The dining table in the corner window.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephenp2302016

Dear Steve

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Randolph Hotel.

I appreciate every five star review we receive, as I know how high we aim to provide our guests a memorable experience staying with us.

I am so happy to learn you enjoyed your meal in the Acanthus Restaurant, and that Penny made your experience seamless.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Randolph again soon so that we may once again exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 15 March 2018

This hotel is in an excellent location in the heart of Oxford. The historic property takes you back in time - but unfortunately, perhaps too far back. The rooms are very small and the the facility needs an update. The bathroom was surprisingly modern and spacious by comparison. We also had an encounter with a rather onery staff member. We called ahead to request a rollaway bed and told them that we would be arriving late due to a flight delay. Unfortunately, when we arrived at nearly 11pm the rollaway bed was not in the room and the bell person repeatedly told us that housekeeping is responsible for that and they had gone home for the evening. He made us call the front desk while he waited and then he himself got on the phone to argue with the front desk saying that he could bring the bed but not put the linens down because he needed to also work with other guests for food service. After a rather long argument he finally agreed and he informed us that it would take about an hour so we should go out to eat and he'll try to have it done by the time we return. Although everything worked out, it wasn't necessary to make such a big deal out of it. Since it was a last minute booking, we also paid a very high price for the room and I would have expected better service.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you for your review of the Randolph Hotel.

We have refurbished many of the rooms at the hotel, and have a comprehensive and extensive refurbishment program in place. We have been very full in the last week, and I am sorry that your room was not entirely as you hoped it would be. I am pleased to learn that you found the bathroom was to your expectation.

I am sincerely sorry to learn that the rollaway bed was not in the room as you expected it to be, and will raise the matter with house keeping, to find out why there was a failure in communication.

I do hope that you will return to the Randolph Hotel again soon, so that we may be afforded the opportunity to show you our full hospitality.