“5 Star Prices in 3 Star Hotel”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My daughter is at University in Oxford and asked if her 21st birthday dinner party for 34 guests could be held at the Randolph. We hired the Lancaster room and bar and all went very well, with excellent service from the "events " team.
However as an experienced traveller and the publisher of hospitality magazines, I found the hotel itself not up to 5 Star standards. On the positive side, the staff were very friendly, attentive and professional, but the pricing for a pokey and tired bedroom, grubby bathroom, small bed, hard to view television and lots of creaking floorboards, was a joke. In addition, I paid £58.50 for three breakfasts and £26.50 to park the car overnight ! Not good value and Macdonald Hotels need to invest in the place and review their pricing structure. This was London rates and not as good.
Still, judging by the flow of visitors from both home and abroad I doubt if they really care.

Room Tip: Dont have room 213
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Nigel G
Write a ReviewReviews (3,313)

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Superb breakfast, creeky rooms... Great concierge, bathrooms were fine but lesser than anticipated...rooms were nicely furnished and great views

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 17 March 2012

The hotel staff at the front are very friendly, and helpful. The overall services is just fine. However the hotel itself is old, and need some serious renovation. When you enter the hotel, it smells like old house; When you walk on the second floor hall to the rooms, you can hear the floor squeaky upon stepping; When you enter your room, you can notice the carpet is really really old. The desk, the chair, etc are all very old. The chair appears to be stained, so I end up sitting on the bed to finish my work. The bathroom is very small, but at least it appears newer.

Oxford is an interesting town, and I enjoyed walking around after a full day of work near by.

Hotel has a restaurant. The worst part of the restaurant is their coffee! Taste really bad.

I heard this is the best hotel in oxford area. I will probably take family to visit Oxford, but I will probably make it a day trip to avoid staying at the "best hotel in Oxford".

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the city
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is the third visit my husband and I have made to this hotel and by far the best (up to now). Our suite overlooked the Ashmolean and was very spacious, I think that is the largest bed I've seen!!! The restaurant excelled it's self, the service from the staff was outstanding and the food itself was delicious. I like the fact that the cooked breakfast is made to order and not from a buffet. I also visited the spa and was very impressed with this too. I can't praise this hotel enough. Thank you for making my 50th birthday and mine and my husbands 30th wedding anniversary even more special.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julesp99
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay and I was delighted you enjoyed your time with us. The hotel is a great place to celebrate any occasion and I am glad that your stay went well. The team will be delighted by your comments.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Spent three nights at The Randolph 5 Star for our wedding anniversity with a very pleasant room on the 3rd floor overlooking the Martyrs Monument. The hotel and staff were really great and the Randolph is famous for locations of ''Morse'' and ''Lewis'' fame by Colin Dexter.
The hotel is near the centre of the city and there are loads to see and do just in the old part of the city centre area amongst the colleges that make up the University. Most of the museums are free as are entry to some of the colleges. We tried a walking tour from the Information Office which was great and had already done the open top bus tour of the main sites. Lots of old buildings to visit, pubs with real ale and shopping If you like plants then visit the Botanical Gardens and most of the colleges have beautiful grounds or quads and chapels.
Not enough time to do everything would go again

Room Tip: I would go high away from the road
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am pleased we could be a part of your anniversary celebrations. Oxford is indeed the perfect venue for a city break with plenty to see and do.

Thank you for kind comments regarding the team and I know they will be most motivated to learn of them.

I do we hope we can of service to you again in the future when your travel plans next bring you to the city of Oxford.

Kind regards,