“Overpriced ”

Ranked #86 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

£18 for a boney bit of fish and one small potato cut into slices. I am still hungry :( It tasted ok, but really not worth the money. I won’t come back...

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Wicked hearty food, I don't even want to share the dish in case everyone comes here and they run out!! That's how protective I feel about the food here. But after careful consideration I have learnt to let go and share this little gem. If your visiting Oxford on Sunday get off the tour bus and walk 20 mins up the Iffley road from town, and be prepared to gorge on any of the choices everything is good!! Enough said... Sarah:)

1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

From the outside you wouldn’t give this pub a second glance. But once inside it has a warm atmosphere lovely decor but best of all is the food.
We went for lunch on Saturday and it was reasonably busy. We started our meal with the Spanish sharing platter enough for six. My husband and I had The cassoulet, my daughter, husband and mother in law had the rib of beef and father in law had the pork like boar. All the meals were large enough for us to have a take home box.
I’m not one for desserts but decided to go for the New York cheesecake and shared my husbands chocolate cake both were yummy.
My daughter and in laws go here regularly and I can’t wait to go again.
Service quick and very helpful.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

It feels more like a pub than a gastropub (so I’d be happy to come here just for a few drinks) but based on our visit it has the quality of food that befits the latter. There were plenty of enticing starter options and we settled on the salmon and the rillettes, both excellent and good sized portions for the price. We decided to share the steak and ale pie for the Man course. Billed as for 2/3, I reckon 4 people could share it and not go hungry - it was huge. The pastry was gorgeous, the sauce rich and delicious and the meat beautifully tender. It could though have benefited from something like mushrooms in it too. We ordered a portion of chips to accompany the pie - totally unnecessary but they were as good as I’ve eaten anywhere. The accompanying cabbage was also very good. We were stuffed and so didn’t explore pudding, but the menu had a few things that appealed so on another visit... There’s a decent wine list, though I didn’t particularly like the Portuguese red we picked. Service was excellent, friendly and perfectly paced. Well worth the trip out of the city centre if you’re in Oxford.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Top quality food & great atmosphere! Will definitely be returning! Really friendly staff too! Our new favourite in Oxford!