All reviews valet parking roll top bath converted brewery the river champagne bar free standing bath studio suite candy floss wet room huge shower dom perignon suite walk in shower lovely hotel nespresso machine henley hotel two floors course dinner
Reviewed 1 March 2016

This is a hidden gem and a great year round place to eat and drink.

In the summer the private outdoor courtyard gives a unique dining experience in Henley, whilst in the winter the Bar and Lounge are perfect for a few chilled drinks.

The service is always very high standard and the food is excellent.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HotelDuVinHenley, Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2016

Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel and in the Bistro and Bar. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 March 2016

We stay over in the area regularly, usually in a pub or a hotel in Oxford. I saw an offer for Sunday evenings at Hotel du Vin with a very good room rate, conditional on eating in the bistro and spending £85. The location is excellent, and we found a parking space on New Street very close to he hotel. 40p in the meter gives parking until 10am on Monday morning, with Sunday being free.
The superior double was £65 with breakfast for the two of us, and the room was very spacious with good facilities. The bed was very comfortable, there is free wifi, and a large screen TV with a range of channels including Sky Sports. I was able to watch the League Cup Final before going down for dinner. Good tea and coffee choices, and high class toiletries. The roll top bath is large but is in the room, with a tremendous walk in shower screened in behind it. I don't find bathing in the room an attraction, but the fittings are first class. There are towelling robes to climb into.
The let down really was the food. The hotel is in an old brewery, and the dining room, like the rest of the building and public spaces, is very attractive. The patio looks like a great place for a drink or meal in fine weather. We met my brother and his wife for dinner, so it was an occasion. Three things we ordered were not available - kidneys, mussels, and the bottle of Portuguese wine I ordered. Two of us ordered escargots, and I asked if there was bread to mop up the garlic butter. There wasn't so I ordered some from the menu. The snails were small and I had to ask for the bread, which came 5 minutes later. For a main I ordered cassoulet which didn't resemble anything I have ever had in France. One of the questions I always ask myself in restaurants is could I have done this dish better myself, and the answer here was definitely yes and Ihave done several times. We finished the bottle of wine we had, and asked for a 500ml flask which took enough time to come for it to be after the mains were almost finished.
At breakfast there was a good choice of cooked dishes. Again however the eggs benedict were not available, and neither were the hash browns to go with the smoked haddock.
The service was pleasant and staff were friendly, but it didn't quite work and so many things missing from the menu was irritating. We definitely wouldn't visit again if it involved eating in the bistro. It's a pity because the building and location are very good, and it could have been an enjoyable stay. We will go back to one of the village pubs we use where the accommodation is less luxurious but the food is the most important part of the stay, and the parking is easy.

1  Thank petefLiverpool

Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some very constructive feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodation however I must say that I am sorry to hear that you faced a number of issues while dining with us with regards to the food. Would you be so kind as to get in touch so that we are able to discuss the issues a little further on dgm.henley@hotelduvin.com
Thank you again and sincere apologies,

Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

I love these hotels so my star rating isn't going to put me off staying as there are still a lot of plus points but repeatedly the housekeeping lets the hotels down and Henley on Thames was no exception. The room, food and friendly staff are the plus points but cleanliness was to be brutal shocking. You don't have to look hard to find dust or poor quality cleaning. Reception gave a good example of this which you would think surprising as giving first impression. Staff friendly and our waiter at dinner was very informative about the wines but he and the waitresses were scruffy. On the whole the place lacked attention to detail.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sue M

Dear Sue,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel du Vin and thank you for coming to spend some time at our hotel in Henley. I am sorry to hear that cleanliness seems to be an issue which you have faced and I can assure you that I will be passing on your feedback to the Housekeeping Manager and actioning any areas that need to be addressed. In the meantime I would like to convey my apologies to you and hope that we will be able to see you at Hotel du Vin in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2016

Went for the prix fixe menu. Was uninspiring, probably should have gone for the normal menu. The starters and dessert were fine but the mains were small and a bit tasteless.

Also, a tip is don't sit on the left hand side facing down from the bar as unbelievably its a thoroughfare for guests arriving to stay in the hotel. A real bad design and its not nice having people constantly walking past and staring at your food !

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank zola123
HotelDuVinHenley, Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for letting us know about your dining experience at HdV Henley and for providing some valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that you felt the Prix Fixe wasn't appealing however perhaps on another occasion in the future there will be dishes that may be more to your liking as we do change the Prix Fixe continuously.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

Dined at Hotel du Vin on the Prix Fixe menu, and overall impression was that the kitchen was trying to impress without appreciating what they were doing. The seafood salad starter was heavy on the cold squid, and the chicken liver parfait, while smooth and tasty, was under-accompanied by toast. The mains of a chicken fricassee (bizarrely accompanied by an oxtail tomato sauce!) and a cassoulet (misspelt on the menu) which lacked beans, were underwhelming. For dessert, one dish of a chocolate fondant was ill-advised to be accompanied by a white chocolate creme brûlée (the brûlée of which stomping and sitting on the white chocolate) and what can best be described as a brick of passion fruit cheesecake.

The overall impression was of the chefs trying hard to impress but not thinking through the menu (or attempting to try it themselves which would have shown them the issues first hand).

House wine was quaffable, if unimpressive, and the service charge, automatically added to the bill, a little generous.

Overall, sadly not impressed.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravLen

Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience and for providing us with some very constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that the dishes offered weren't to your liking and will be sure to let the Head Chef know of your comments. The Prix Fixe Menu is a menu that is changed very frequently and as such there may be dishes that will be more to your liking one week . Nevertheless I would like to thank you and hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you the wide selection of dishes that we have both on our Prix Fixe and A la Carte Menu in the future.