George's Great British Kitchen - Nottingham
Ranked #28 of 1,361 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A Good & Proper Place for Proper British Grub, Premium British Gins & Vodkas, beach Hut antics & Jolly Good Times!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

First time experience, the place was very busy 5pm on a Thursday so my friend and I went in and managed to get a table because we had not booked. First impression were positive.
The paraffin are very efficient explained the menu which is confusing, please make it simple, we were going to the Theatre so was on a time restriction, we let the staff know and they were great getting us fed and out on time.
The facilities are good toilets on the ground floor with full disable access for people with mobility issues which is great to see, vent he entrance would be easy for access so well done.
The food is what let's this place down it is expensive, not hot when it arrives, the fish I had did not taste or look fresh and the chips were awful.
We complained about the food and our complaint was dealt with in a very professional manner to our satisfaction.
There are some fantastic places to eat in Nottingham and I have to say you will need to improve your food and not rely on your reputation if you are to last I'm afraid.
I also do not understand why the plate has to arrive in a tin tray absolute bonkers and heavy for the waiting staff to carry, I picked up my tray to test, and I would not like to be carrying them backwards and forwards all day.
Sorry I cannot rate you higher

GeorgesGroup, Alex at George's Great British Kitchen - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback after your recent visit to our Nottingham restaurant, and I'm sorry to hear you felt we could have improved in some areas. We appreciate our set menu may appear slightly confusing, and we are currently working to redesign this, so that we can offer value for money while keeping it clear to understand and order from. Our fish is all cooked to order, and our chips should be too, so I'm sorry if you felt they weren't up to standard on this occasion.
We always check that our waiting staff are comfortable with the loads they are carrying and the amount of physical work required, and we will continue to make sure our staff are healthy and happy at George's.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,936)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Agree with previous comments regarding portion sizes, bit on the small size but really yummy food. The atmosphere is lovely and Matt was truly fabulous!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Sad to give this 3 stars having visited before and given 4 or 5. This was about our 6th visit. We ordered the cod and chips and the children had the mini fish and chips. We were both given less chips than the children! We queried this as we knew it wasn’t the previous portion size and we were told that was the correct portion size. Insulting to be told this as it obviously wasn’t true. How can adults be given less chips than children?! They brought more chips and weren’t reluctant to do so but we felt lied to which made us feel like we were in the wrong when clearly we couldn’t have been. We do love everything else though- the gin menu, the food menu, the decor, the list goes on... Hopefully, this was an oversight and not a sign of changes.

GeorgesGroup, Alex at George's Great British Kitchen - Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback after your recent visit to our Nottingham restaurant. Our chip portions certainly shouldn't be shrinking that much, and I will speak with the site to ensure our portion sizes are consistent and offer good value for money. We certainly didn't mean to lie to you, and our waiting staff will always try to resolve a situation where possible. Thanks, Alex

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We had the cod at lunchtime although the portion was large. The staff were very friendly and stressed they were awaiting a delivery of Haddock. My first choice but the cod was very tasty. Lovely ginger beer with a nice touch ,a slice of root ginger along with lime. Busy , will return.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely building, friendly staff. Bit overwhelmed by having 3 menus to look at, the lunch menu though was good value. It’s always a bit annoying when you order your food and the tables that are served after you get their food first! Ended up getting our starter for free at least and they were very apologetic. Would definitely go again