“Disappointing spa day” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing spa day”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We booked a spa day at the Crowne Plaza Nottingham as part of a hen weekend. There were 17 of us all together and we were told to get there by 10 and lunch would be at half 1. Although a few people arrived on time a few of us turned up slightly later after getting a bit lost. As a resulted of this instead of being greeted with a glass of champage as stated as part of a package we were all greeted by a moody member of staff and told to go to a certain room and wait there.
Although I did enjoy my massage as part of the spa day, the rest of the day was awful. We were told to wait in a conference room which had no windows and was stuffy to wait for our treatment. No refreshments or champagne was supplied until nearly all the treatments were over (and we had to ask for this).
We all had to pay extra to use the spa facilities and this was also a waste of time as after 10 minutes sat in the jacuzzi yet another moody member of staff rudely told everyone in the pool to "get out now" because swimming lessons were about to start. (and wouldn't be finishing until our lunch was being served). So apart from sitting in a jacuzzi for a few minutes surrounded by screaming children most of us didn't get to use these facilities.
The lunch was nice although not worth the £8 extra for a sandwich, a few fries and a drink.
Even trying to leave the carpark we were met with a rude lady on the intercom telling us we had to get our ticket validated in the spa (which we already had done). When we tried to explain this and that she had just let out another part of our party two cars in front she then hung up and refused to answer the intercom.
All 17 members of our party are over the age of 25 and sensible. We had come for a relaxing spa day to end the weekend and was greeted by rude staff throughout our day.
Although the hotel might look like a 4 star in appearance it does not reach the 4 star standard you expect in customer service. I am just thankful that we chose not to stay at this hotel for our weekend.
Even prior to our arrival we found that the manager of the spa was very rude and it wasn't really much of a surprise that she was rude to us when we arrived either. I certainly will not be recommending the Urban Rooms to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Debbie S
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear DebbieE,

Thank you for your review regarding a spa day booked via Urban rooms.

Although Urban rooms are not managed by us at the hotel, it was very disheartening to read your comments as this has a reflection on the hotel. I can assure you that I will pick up your experience with the owner of the Urban rooms to avoid a re-occurrence.

We deal with many hen parties at the hotel week after week that normally leave the hotel with great memories from their hen weekend. I am sorry that your spa day did not live up to your expectations and that you felt the team to be rude. The friendliness of our team members is something that we pride ourselves on at the hotel, as shown on this review site. Rest assured I will pick up your comments with those team members involved.

Natalia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Arrived late at night and chap at front desk was very welcoming and friendly. Room itself was small, but then again this is a City Centre hotel. Everything was clean and well maintained. Biggest complaint is the noise from the air conditioning in the room. At least the noise is constant rather than the stop/start units that really annoy me. I also really dislike shower curtains preferring a solid shower protector and these two thins mean that this gets 3 stars rather than 4 from me. My rate did not include breakfast so can not comment on that, save to say that is was £14.95 to buy on the day, so using some advise from local friends I went to a lcoal greasy spoon and had a great full english for £6!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear csjw,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.

My apologies that your air conditioning unit was loud in your bedroom. We are currently looking at this matter with engineers to try to eliminate some of this noise.

It was great to read your comments regarding the team member that checked you in, I will certainly pass your comments on.

Once again thank you for your review

Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is an excellently located hotel for the wonderful city that is Nottingham! Right by Rock City and the city centre. The proximity to Rock City could cause some issue with late night noise ( even thought the windows don't open) but I stayed mid week and the hum drum of music became quite theraputic! Weekends could be different but I suppose you could always ask for a different room if it becomes an issue. I was here in business and spent some time in the bar/ lounge area working in very comfortable surroundings.

The room was a tad on the small side and they seem to have an issue with plug sockets- to the point that a morning cuppa involved crawling under the desk to plug the kettle in- I did find the under desk/ bed side cabinet lighting a bit Land of Lilliput.

Room is well equipped- chocolates on arrival, toiletries, a little box of spray and roll on to assist with sleep. Room service was good and food quality good.

I really enjoyed breakfast- plenty of fruit and yoghurt- service was excellent- in fact service was very good throughout the whole stay- happy to help staff and seemed to be genuine with it too!

The biggy negative at this hotel is the heat! Oh my goodness the heat/ air con noise balance was something of a dilemma! And the walls aren't sound proofed well. Rock City is the least of your worries with sleep quality here!

A shame as without this I would have rated it higher.

Room Tip: Depends on your preference but you may want to ask for a room that isn't looking out at Rock Cit...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Helensuz,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am sorry that your air conditioning unit was not working correctly and disturbed your nights sleep. I will make sure that our maintenance team review the units.

It was pleasing however to read that you enjoyed your breakfast experience and that you found all of the team more than happy to help. I know that the team will be very pleased to read your comments.

I do hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back soon

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at the CP Nottingham 4th March for a hen weekend. The bedrooms all have non opening windows. Rooms thermostatically controlled apparently! The AC does not work the ‘fan’ just blows warm fetid air around. It was one of the most uncomfortable nights I have ever spent. The breakfast was atrocious, cheap sausages, undercooked bland bacon, packaged sliced bread, tinned tomatoes and mushrooms, really awful.

Room Tip: Dont stay if you want to breath clean air!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear kst2012,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that your air conditioning unit did not work in the room. We did have a few bedrooms that reported their ac unit not to be working, which maintenance are in teh process of rectifying.

It was very disheartening to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast, as this area is something that we recieve regular positive feedback about. I will ensure that your comments are fedback to the kitchen team and actioned where appropriate.

natalia
GB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

The hotel itself is centrally located, although very difficult to find and Nottingham is a nightmare to drive in due to one-way systems and tram lines. Our room backed onto the ubiquitous noisy nightclub which other reviewers have mentioned and we were given earplugs so thought we were in for a disturbed nights sleep. In fact, we heard nothing from the nightclub at all. Probably due to the windows which were static and here's where the problem lies. The room was unbearably hot and the windows could not be opened being just one pane of glass with no ventilation at all. The room was so hot in fact, that even my hubby (who loves heat) could not stand it. There was an air conditioning unit that apparently could be altered by inserting your key card. I did, it didn't! The room was totally stifling so my partner and I lay on the bed all night and got no sleep. I had a cold shower at 6am to cool down. We stayed with a group of friends in 4 rooms on different floors and not one of us had a decent nights sleep due to the intolerable heat. All of us attempted to lower the heat by using our key cards in the air conditioning system. Not one person had any success. A shame really, because the hotel itself is fine and good value.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear GbTubs,

Thank you for your review regarding you recent stay

My sincere apologies that your air conditioning unit did not function during your stay. I am unsure if you alerted the team of this as they are aware how to rectify some problems that the units have. If they can not fix the error we do offer fans to assist during the warmer weather.

Due to the building design and construction unfortunately the bedroom windows do not open. Due to the height of the hotel it would also be a health and safety concern if they were to open.

I also read that apart from this matter you found the hotel to be good value. I do hope that this one off experience will not deter you from returning and would hope that you contact me personally prior to arrival and I will ensure your stay is comfortable