All reviews anglers arms steve the warden site warden lovely campsite short walk local pub eaten alive great site toilet block bug spray head nets tent pegs plenty of hot water kids loved the park clean facilities picnic tables toilets showers
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in one of 4 pods on site. It was a basic carpet laid no power pod. Perfect for what we wanted 2 adults 1child and a small dog (yes they accept well behaved dogs).
The site has pic nic tables and BBQs for use. The park keepers office sells the odd emergency pieces. The toilets are cleaned everyday no complaints however the smell of sewage was extremely overpowering. I assume it was due to amount of rain. This campsite is a total get away from it all campsite in the heart of the forest. No phone, radio,tv signals here (watch out teenagers). Dont be alarmed there is a pub 5 mins walk away a local shop a Salmon center and keilder castle all within 10 mins walk. Set by sound of the running streams and surrounded by towering trees. We have truly never seen skies so dark in the UK before it was simply magical!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Claire T
Reviewed 23 August 2017

This is one of the best campsites I have visited recently. Excellent facilities -Good sized pitches, facilities well marked, toilets & showers all clean and in good condition - free showers with copious amounts of hot water.
When we mentioned that we had forgotten our pans (my fault !), the warden offered us the use of a set from their store for the duration of our stay.
It can be a little wet underfoot after rain, but you are visiting Kielder water, not Kielder desert and there was also a plentiful supply of midges during our stay, but you are warned of this on the website and on arrival - take plenty of repellant.
Check the astronomical calendar before booking - Kielder is the darkest place in Britain and there will be many stargazers during meteor showers, lunar eclipses etc - book early.

Room tip: Get a pitch away from the river - fewer midges.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken481_132
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

I am a scout leader so I camp all year round. Needed a break away so I took my pregnant girlfriend camping, so she could experience my way of life outdoors.
Steve is a top bloke and the site is amazing. All plumped in and with proper drinking water out of the taps. There is a wash station for pots and cooking utensils if you need them. There is also an area where you can hose down tent footprints if you use them. Shop sells essentials and all funds go into the site.
Kielder is kielder, When is dry it's amazing and when wet is very very wet. Make sure you come prepared unlike my girlfriend who didn't listen to me.
Midges again take plenty of repellent and head nets (which they sell onsite).
They have toilets and showers which are very clean. I highly recommend this site and we will be returning.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank RobLuke2018
Reviewed 17 August 2017

My 17 year old son camped for a week while doing his work experience at the observatory. The location was great and the facilities clean and plentiful. I can't thank Steve enough for looking after my son, with clear briefings, great advice for his stay and helpful tips for parents to stay in touch. As a parent I felt reassured and comfortable he was in safe hands. The site was clearly used to hosting star gazers and catered perfectly for their needs throughout the stay and crucially late at night. Thank you!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank James D
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Having an 8meter motorhome the drive through the National Park to Keilder can be quite a challenge.

Ensure that you have ample fuel prior as the only local petroleum pump is not open all the time.

The site is great if you like peace solitude and the great outdoors.It did rain but we expected this though the renown local midgies did not bother us on this trip.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColinD995
KielderSteve, Manager at Kielder Village Camping & Caravan site, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2018

Hello Colin. Thank you for your review. With regards our unmanned fuel station, it can dispense fuel 24/7 via chip and pin. The lights on the sign, due to being in the very centre of the Dark Skies park, switch off at 19.00 and back on at 0700 daily.

I trust this clears up any confusion for other visitors over this misconception.