“Refurbished but maybe at a cost ?”

Vercelli Italian Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 117 Restaurants in Hexham
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family run Italian restaurant, serving classic Italian pizza & pasta dishes with a very modern grill menu. Now open all day on a sunday serving traditional sunday roasts 12:00 - 4:00 and back to our normal menu 4:30 - 8:00. We also have a cocktail and wine bar along side the restaurant which is very popular with diners pre & post meal.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Refurbished and fresh looking it's beautifully designed and decorated, but sadly the main ingredients for a fantastic dinner were missing.
Mainly the attention to detail and the quality we have had in the past.

I hand the bruchetta to start with a pine nut pesto, I sent it back for 2 reasons.
1. The bread was soggy, though toasted it was soggy from the cherry tomatoes that hadn't been deseeded or drained of their juices.
2. I think it was £6:95 for I kid you not half a slice of toast ! Ok if your fine dining and it's top drawer food, sadly it was neither.

Very disappointing indeed, my chicken dish of lemon & honey on a sizzling platter was ok, the fries I ordered extra were very nice.
I also had ordered a side salad go go with my mains that never made it to the table for some reason, normally everything is done well?
My fiancée is veggie and had a pizza, hers was delicious.
Bit of a mixed bag I guess, my first visit since the refurbishment.
I hope it was just an off night.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Been for Sunday lunch today. Excellent service from very friendly efficient staff. Food was lovely tasty and hot. Had the garlic mushrooms then the roast beef dinner lots of lovely veg and tasty gravy. Good value well worth a visit

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Visited with a friend for dinner on a Tuesday night and ordered from the two pizzas and sides for £20 deal. Both our pizzas were delicious and good sizes, sides (sweet potato fries and mac and cheese croquettes) were amazing. Had to take some home as couldn’t manage it all. Really good food and friendly service.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Been coming here for a few years. I have to say, the food has always been really good and we come regularly after work. I quite like the cocktail bar too, its not the standard of bars found in Newcastle but for Hexham it does the trick.

I asked to book two tables in the cocktail bar for a birthday, and was told under the new rules I had to pay £80 per table and had to order a 'drinks package.' The packages were a bottle of spirit with mixers, or, two cocktail pitchers and bottle of prosecco...

I wanted to come here so my party could order various cocktails from the cocktail menu (with it being a cocktail bar), not pay £80 and be forced to drink a bottle of vodka or a fruity watered down cocktail pitcher, I can get this round the corner in Wetherspoons for a third of the price.

Not that I'd be ordering water, but I'd at least understand it if they asked you to secure your table with a £80 bar tab and order cocktails from that, but these mandatory "drinks packages" are just unecessary. Hexham really needs another cocktail bar to take away the monopoly this place has.

1  Thank Chedders88
Fatlad10, Owner at Vercelli Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Hi,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate any constructive criticism because that’s how we learn. We have taken your comments on board. Could you drop me an email to info@vercelli.co.uk and I can let you know the outcome of our discussions on this matter as we are really disappointed we have upset you.

Many thanks,
vercelli

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We went to Vercelli for Sunday lunch on Mothers' Day, and as expected, the place was packed. We were seated very quickly, and were given menus, The drinks order was taken at the same time. The starters chosen were smoked salmon and prawns and potato skins. Everyone declared them tasty and well prepared, they were also served remarkably quickly, considering how busy the restaurant was, and by a most helpful and charming waitress.
When the main course arrived, I was a little disappointed to find my roast beef barely warm, and when I asked my companions, they also had tepid meals. Putting that aside, the meals themselves were well prepared, and enough for the heartiest of appetites. On balance, I would certainly give Vercellis another visit, as I am sure the temperature of the main courses was down to it being one of the busiest days of the year.

1  Thank Epicuriancritique