“Lovely mid afternoon Sunday roast”

The Heart of Northumberland
Ranked #10 of 121 Restaurants in Hexham
Price range: USD 7 - USD 21
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A contemporary update of the great British pub in a stunning, grade II listed building in the heart of the historic market town of Hexham, Northumberland. We specialise in doing things right-entirely homemade food, both classics & seasonal creations, beautifully kept local cask ales, artisan coffee, friendly service, roaring log-burners & pretty much anything else you would want from a great local, independent pub.
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Really friendly service and a delicious roast with all the trimmings and particularly good vegetable selection including a gorgeous bubble and squeak in addition to roasties and yorkie pud. Very good local beer too. Just the job!

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

Went with the wife on a Saturday lunch time , Hexham was busy due there being a race meeting . We came across this pub by accident but so glad we did . We ordered drinks and got a table , good selection of beers and lagers . The lad behind the bar very knowledgeable and polite , I tried the allendale lager which was very good . We decided to have some lunch in here and the Northumberland sharer a mixture of cheeses , meats , olives etc , this was perfect , plenty of it and well
Presented , the bread was really good , the bar staff provided us with a first class service , also there interested where your from and what your up to etc . Give this pub a try you won’t be disappointed . We will return for sure next time we’re in Northumberland , thanks to all at the heart of Northumberland

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Slightly disappointed. We booked a table for 7pm on a Sunday evening. I didn't realise it was a reduced menu for a Sunday but that was my fault however the reduced menu was even more reduced as out of the 6 main dishes they had on offer only 3 were available. The Sunday roast my partner had was really nice, my meal was ok but wasn't what I really wanted. The ladies serving us were lovely, couldn't fault their enthusiasm.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

We were recommended to visit by our air bnb host, who told us it was her favourite place to eat in Hexham. The restaurant was warm and inviting, the staff were friendly. Food was average - a chicken burger which was flattened and overcooked with a side of unripe avocado, and an okay beef burger. House white was also really sour, but maybe it just wasn’t to my taste?!

Overall, we wouldn’t rush back unfortunately.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

My wife and I recently went to the Vegan and Vegetarian Night at the Heart. I understand from friends that the food is highly regarded here anyway, but so often we've been to popular restaurants and gastropubs following a recommendation and then found the vegan option to be a bit disappointing, poorly cooked, or a simplistic 'add-on'. Not so at the Heart! The menu was interesting, varied and delicious! The staff were really welcoming on arrival, the atmosphere was warm and convivial and the food, was lovely. Between us we had both vegan options for each of the three courses and none let us down. All weer well presented, well balanced and delicious to eat. Vegan or not, we would definitely recommend you give the Heart a try. We'll be going back!