“A must visit”

El Piano
Price range: USD 10 - USD 48
Cuisines: International
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Description: Award winning wholly gluten-free, wholly plant-based foods using no seeds nor nuts other than sesame and coconut and using no palm oil. We change the menu at least every six months to ensure we can use as much locally grown produce as possible. EL PIANO YORK occupies a medieval building and, as with most buildings on Grape Lane, was probably used as a brothel before being storage for the food industry. One of our buildings, No. 15, Is believed to be the oldest building on the street and has a unique pyramid pitch roof. As recently as the 1980s the area was general warehousing, and immediately opposite El Piano was the workshop of Dick Reid, master carver, who supplied his work to many monuments and palaces nationally and internationally. EL PIANO YORK bought into the head lease in 1997 from the Queen's cousin Oliver Worsley, and the use changed from retail to the cafe and restaurant that it is today.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

As a dedicated carnivore, I visited this restaurant with a friend.
I had the loveliest, crispiest falafel, a beautiful green salad, and the tastiest, freshest tomato soup that I have had in years (and I eat a lot of soup!).
I would recommend this place to carnivores and vegans alike.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

we were brought here by friends(all of us non vegan), both of us were skeptical looking at the menu. such an amazing surprise, the food is so delicious that a year later we returned. just as amazing the second time around. the only thing we didn't rate was the wine

1  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Visited this restaurant as my wife is Vegan.

After umming and ahhing over what to have the chap on the table next to me recommended Bobs burger.

you get ALOT of food. huge burger loads of side plates. I can eat a lot of food and at some restaurants I have even had 2 main meals, I couldn't even finish this burger its almost a sharer!

very happy with the meal and if we visit york again no doubt I would be back.

The decor is very weird and quirky but it adds to the character of the restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

If you are a vegan and are looking for somewhere to eat, stop looking you have found it

2  Thank marc b
Reviewed 3 April 2018

Excellent food - but you need to book in advance or may be disappointed at busy times. I have a soft spot for the lentil Dahl, Rosti, fritters, ....... et al

1  Thank gilbertvalentine
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I was invited as part of a birthday group and we had our own little room upstairs. We tried everything off the menu in a buffet style. Everything was absolutely delicious. The staff are very bubbly and professional. I hope to return soon.

2  Thank Karen L