“Boutique hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
Manchester
“Boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This hotel is the sister hotel of The Guy Fawkes Inn in York. My b/f and i had booked to stay at The Guy Fawkes Inn however they had messed up our resevation and didn't have any rooms left to accommodate us. Luckily their sister hotel Marmadukes did have availability and so they sent us there with an upgraded room and a free drink at the Guy Fawkes Inn when we returned for our dinner.

Marmadukes is a lovely hotel, with friendly staff. It's a good 15-20 minute walk to York center though. The bedroom was ok, a bit oldy-worldy which wasn't to my taste (old furniture makes me feel uneasy!) and you couldn't see the TV once you got in bed as the bars on the (four poster) bed got in the way! The main hotel where the reception is situated is much nicer however we had a good sleep and we were able to request a late check-in with no extra cost which was great.

Breakfast was excellent, well worth getting out of bed for! Overall, another lovely stay in York.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank __Redhead__2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Just returned from 2 nights stay at Marmadukes and overall it was a very pleasant stay. Marmadukes is situated in a good location not too far from the city, breakfast was superb, staff were friendly and room was beautiful. Only a few niggles, although the room was very nice it was a little on the small side, the bed felt as if it was on its last legs every time you moved it creaked quite loudly, although we were extremely happy we had a bath we suggest some form of shower curtain as its pretty impossible to not drench the entire bathroom when having a wash and lastly the tv would not change from bbc1 no matter how we followed the instructions on how to work the tv carefully we were stuck with bbc1 and also the tv was a little obstructed by the dvd cabinet. Very much recommend Marmadukes and we would definitely return.

1 Thank Laura B
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel and I had such a wonderful time I wanted to share my experience with others contemplating booking with this hotel.
I found the hotel after spying a picture of the grand and beautiful fourposter room and thought I had to go there!. I found a few mixed reviews of the place but I am the kind of person that would rather experience a place for myself than to be put of by the words of others and I am very glad I did.

I arrived in York from the train station and using the GPS on my phone (would have also been easy enough to locate on a map of the city too) was able to find the hotel easily which was as it says on the hotel website 15mins away from the center of the town.
we arrived and the staff at reception were friendly and happy to help, we were showed to our room (which to my delight the exact fourposter bedroom in the picture!)

we had a small problem with the door of our room but as we were trying to see what the problem was the manager appeared and was instantly on the case and we had the problem solved in next to no time.

Breakfast was beautiful and the staff in the morning were just as friendly and helpful as the night before.
In all the hotel was beautiful and so full of character, it's just out of the town and the staff are lovely and I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know and all of you on here.

Room Tip: the fourposter bedroom we stayed in was beautiful
3 Thank Steph M
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed in a single room, the room was very small but had everything i needed and decorated to an extremely high standard,lovely bedding, luxurious toiletries and also spotlessly clean.

The staff are lovely, very helpful and friendly, nothing is too much trouble.

Interior including bar, breakfast room and lounge are absolutely stunning, pure understated elegance, with a few quirks thrown in.

The breakfast was lovely, fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, croissants alongside a full english (vegetarian option available too).

Great location, 10 mins walk from train station and very easy to find.

Really cannot fault this hotel, i will definitely be staying again!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I was treated to a night away by my girlfriend who had planned the trip. I always know I'm in good hands when she plans a trip and the hotel only confirmed that. It's a beautiful building a short walk from York and brilliantly staffed.

Upon arriving, the concierge Josie (I'm so sorry if I've gotten that wrong) asked if we were here for an occasion. We told her it was my birthday and within a split second she had upgraded our room.

The room itself was immaculate with a four-post bed so comfortable you could drown in it.

The breakfast was generous and well cooked and the waitress for the day was very attentive. Was delighted to find the black pudding on the menu, that coupled with bacon and a perfectly poached egg, bliss.

Had a lovely stay there and would recommend it. I think I'll book my parents a night there for their anniversary.

2 Thank Ross H