“Nice but ...”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Maybe we visited on an off-night but our food experience didn’t match the 5 star reviews. The welcome and look of the place was lovely but from a taste point of view our verdict was ‘nice but ...’ thanks to food that was attractively presented but not bursting with the fresh, zingy flavours that I expected.
Several menu choices were of the type where you choose your meat/veg to go with the sauce and there were a lot of deep fried items. Low point was a chicken salad drowned in a peanut satay sauce, best dish was salt and pepper squid that was nearly great.
This is clearly a popular neighbourhood restaurant, good value at around £20 a head including starters, mains and a few beers and we had a pleasant evening out but ...

1  Thank Catherine I

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Visited for the first time tonight and enjoyed wonderful food, some of the best we’ve had outside of Thailand. Service was friendly and efficient and the food was excellent and great value for money. The menu was varied and innovative and the setting casual and cosy.

The soft shell crab is a MUST, the Tom yum soup, scallops and kaw soi are all delicious but beware the aubergine side dish which is swimming in oil and doesn’t have much taste.

Overall a great meal out and would thoroughly recommend the place.

2  Thank zoocoo
Reviewed 11 March 2018

On our visit to york we came across this Thia resturant and decided to try it out. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the staff are helpful and very friendly.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

This wasn't my first visit here and most certainly will not be the last. From the moment we walked in we knew we'd made a good choice of venue. The food is absolutely superb and every member of staff went out of their way to look after you. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

This is a good Thai restaurant, and I have eaten here several times (I'm a local). My wife and I had the £10 each, 2 course lunch deal recently. I had the chicken satay starter and green chicken curry main course with rice.

Both tasted really good, but the portion sizes have shrunk somewhat in recent times. The chicken satay, for example, had about 1 mouthful of chicken in it (albeit very tasty).

I was still hungry at the end of the meal! Having a lunchtime value deal is good, but reducing the amount of food provided to account for the lower price is not a great way to get repeat custom.

1  Thank York_TravellerYork