“Wonderful”

Price range: USD 40 - USD 66
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A dining by surprise experience of our 'blind' Menu Aveugle, with a modern European influence. Our menu changes daily, according to the fresh produce available to Head Chef Josh Overington from his carefully selected growers and producers.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Booked for a Saturday evening. My partner and I were celebrating our anniversary. I wish I could always eat like this but unfortunately it has to be "special occasions" only. We were lucky enough to have tried Josh's food at the Great British Menu evening held at The House of Tides in Newcastle and had been waiting for an excuse to experience his full menu. It was worth the wait – each course was wonderfully presented and tasted incredible. A particular mention should go to the black pudding macaron and the dessert of the warm chocolate mousse and sea salt ice cream – outstanding.

The servers were very friendly and knowledgeable. This intimate and classy establish concentrates on providing the diner with a truly special experience. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Hugely enjoyed our evening at Le Cochon Aveugle. Having eaten at many top restaurants across the world, this is definitely up there - I particularly enjoyed the extraordinarily high quality of the food matched with simple surroundings and unstuffy, warm, personable service. The menu was a "blind tasting" with paired wines and there were courses I would never have chosen and loved - the eel course was a real standout, as was the duck with anchovy cream. If you're in York, book.

1  Thank ar233
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Great service with friendly staff.
The 8 course tasting menu was a little disappointing, well cooked and presented but no wow factor tastes. Bread as a listed course - not for me!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We have been eyeing this resturant up since it opened and trying to find a time to squeeze in between work and parental duties. It nearly became unravelled when the baby sitter called in sick. Be warned they do hold you to the £50 cancellation per person! (Ouch!). So dont book unless you've got all bases covered! After a stress of an hour spent phoning around to get a friend to cover we got there! The resturant is small and unassuming and seems a bit under-fitting for the quality of the food. The food on the tasting menu on offer was very good. Definately up there in terms of presentation and there were some beautiful flavours over the evening's 7+ course dining experience. The menu was challenging and exciting and equally so were the wine pairings. Something I really love, but my wife struggled a bit with some of the courses. (All the more for me!) Overall, appart from some tiny elements we discovered we didnt like, the food was delicious. Would I mark it as a 4? I toyed with it, but it would be totally unfair. This resturant deserves a good 5 and York is all the better for having it challenging, exciting and stimulating the culinary senses.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We went to the restaurant based off of tripadvisor reviews I am so glad that we did. Our meal was fantastic. It was a tasting menu with several courses. The food is incredible- black pudding macaroons, eel with seaweed, cabbage and broth (my partners favourite dish), baby leeks with trout roe and scallop powder which was amazing. We did not choose the wine pairing but I wish I had. We had a carafe of sauvingon blanc and a dessert wine both excellent. The staff were great, they describes each dish as it was presented and gave us great advice about the wine. All in all an incredible evening which will not be forgotten. I highly reccommend this restaurant, especially if you are celebrating a special occassion.