“Terrible service”

Pizza Express
Ranked #361 of 975 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We’re in St Sampson's Square, once a bustling fish market in the heart of the historic city, close to the Shambles. Our building itself was once a renowned paint factory – now it’s a vibrant, stylish venue where you can enjoy our tasty pizzas in a relaxed atmosphere. On the first floor there is a selection of album covers displayed in honour of John Barry, one of the UK’s most celebrated We can offer outdoor seating (seasonal). We have the ability to take large parties, host Pizza Express Pizza Making Experiences. Please don't hesitate to call for more details.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visited here today, seated quickly and order taken promptly, that's where it ended... asked for a litre bottle of water received a half bottle. Plates took ages to clear and asked for dessert menu, waited and waited 15 mins later caught one of the other waiters and asked again ordered dessert. The other waiter then turned up with a dessert menu! Waited another 15 mins for dessert, no ice cream with the dessert, no teaspoon or sugar for the cappuccino, no cutlery to eat said dessert with.... restaurant was half empty by now so not very busy... no excuse just bad, slow service won't be re-visiting.

Chris W, Manager at Pizza Express, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi lincolngirl26, I was very sorry to hear of your bad experience in our restaurant and I apologise for this and would like to extend an invitation for you to call the restaurant and speak with one of the duty Managers and hopefully resolve your problem!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Compact little Pizza Express with the usual can’t-go-wrong menu favourites and colouring sheets for the little ones, but despite being a busy Easter lunchtime the waiters were efficient & had time to make our daughters feel comfortable, well done to all the staff.

Hi James T, Thank you for the wonderful feedback. Please feel free to visit again and tell your friends too!

Reviewed 31 March 2018

My boyfriend and I had a nice dinner at this place. Artur was our waiter and even tough it was a bit late, he took perfect care of us and was very friendly and professional. The food, (we had pizzas and dessert) was very nice.

We would recommed it to everyone.

Thanks again!

Hi Sara P, Thank you for the feedback. We are very happy to have been of service to you and your boyfriend and I will pass your comments on to Artur, I am sure this will make him smile!

Reviewed 17 February 2018

We went to Pizza Express today for a quick bite before the theatre. We chose this particular place as it takes clubcard vouchers, should be speedy and child friendly. As we assumed it would be busy being half term we booked a table.
On arrival we were shown to a table shoved next to a wall due to massive party of pre-school children and parents. the children were loud and naughty and the parents not really engaging (facebook must have been having an exciting day), but I realise this was not the fault of the restaurant. However, the tables had been set up in such a way the the presence of this party was next to every single table on the upper floor, meaning it was affecting all the customers. Over the screaming of said children, there was bizarre, incredibly loud unrecognisable music, meaning that everyone was having to shout to maintain any conversation, thus leading to more noise, louder shouting and so on. I am a child of the late 90's Hacienda and certainly not averse to loud music, but this was a little silly.
There were 2 waiters upstairs who were trying their best to deal with the chaos and were very pleasant and should be commended for their day of hell, but their manager was non-existent and ineffectual.
On leaving, which we did as quickly as possible, we used the conveniences only to find both toilets blocked, one with toilet roll, one with something rather larger and more unpleasant and someone had decided not only the pee on both toilet seats but also wipe excrement on the door of the toilet. I did tell the harassed waitress that toilets were disgusting and was told that it would be the large party of children that would have been the offenders. I left, i do hope they cleaned them.
I have been to Pizza Express on a number of occasions and have had awful experiences, followed by faultless that has wooed me back. However this time, our affair is over, you have hurt me too many times! Poo on the toilet door - seriously??!!

Chris W, Manager at Pizza Express, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

Hi Dr Kate m,

Thank you for the feedback we endeavour to do our best to keep the restaurant clean and tidy and we like to make everyone feel welcome. I am sorry that on this occasion you were unhappy about certain aspects of your visit. Also I would like to apologise for the late response as we have been very busy and this is the first opportunity I have had to review the web page.

If you would like to call the restaurant or come into discuss the matters further with one of the Managers we would like to invite you to do so.

Thanks

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

We arrived without a booking at a key evening dining time and were made welcome and our business important. Although the staff were clearly rushed they all had a great attitude, the food was good and the restaurant run with care.
My whole family enjoyed the experience and I’d recommend the restaurant without hesitation.

Chris W, Manager at Pizza Express, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Hi Gary. Thank you for your lovely feedback. We look forward to seeing you back here in the near future.
Many Thanks, Chris & the Team