“This is the most authentic Cantonese food you're going to get in York”
Review of Maxis Restaurant

Maxis Restaurant
Ranked #277 of 934 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

This review has been a long time coming, me and my family have been coming here for the last 10 years since we moved here. The food is nostalgic, the atmosphere on a busy Sunday afternoon is intoxicating. If you don't know what to order, go for the 3 meat noodles with a crispy bottom. Lovely staff, lovely food, I hope it never changes.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

My wife and I have been coming to this restaurant on and off since it opened many years ago (1999). We hadn't been for a long time mainly because we had been put off by the loud karaoke music. This seems to have either stopped or wasn't on the nights we were there (Sundays). Although the decor looks a little tired as do the loos, the food on both times we came was very good. Last time I went I had hot and sour soup and my wife wonton soup. Both were excellent and tasty. My wife had as a main king prawn and straw mushrooms and I had crispy chilli beef - the prawns were soft and succulent. We had a two portions of egg fried rice (one would have been enough) plus some China tea. The price was just £36 for the two courses for both of us. The menu is extensive and I would definitely recommend for Cantonese chinese food you go there.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Great Chinese restaurant on York ring road - visited here a lot in the past few years when in York or passing by when on the A1 heading home, its a worthwhile diversion in our opinion!!! Very authentic looking restaurant but its the food that counts. Four visits this year so far and each one has been spot on. Only ever come here for lunch and mostly on a Saturday but have visited on a weekday when the good value lunch special menu is on.

Food is always spot on, well presented - we tend to stick to the same dishes now as over the years we have found our favourites . Soup is top notch but the Salt n Chilli Ribs and S+S Chicken are probably the best we've had. Rice and noodles always spot on and huge portions.

Service is good and soft drinks not really that expensive. Looking forward to next visit, soon hopefully!!!

Reviewed 8 November 2017

This restaurant is literally a five minute walk from the Premier Inn we were staying at (very convenient) which is why we used it. As one of the earlier reviewers stated, the restaurant itself is quite impressive with richly decorated walls and ceilings. However................. the food is not so impressive.
I think we all understand that any review is based on personal taste and preferences and for my part, I have to say that this was probably second in my list of all time 'poor' Chinese food. It really wasn't good.
We had a mixed sharing plate to start with (prawn toast, ribs and some other unidentifiable fried thing) not pleasant at all. The ribs also had a strange taste and as I'd only recently recovered from an episode of campylobacter, I feared I was possibly in for another! The main course was no better. I ordered Chicken, King Prawn Chow Mein and it tasted of nothing defineable. Just a warm kind of sloppy plate of food. The prawns didn't really taste like prawns, the chicken didn't taste like chicken and to be honest, it didn't even look like chicken and all the vegetables just tasted the same. I know it sounds really harsh but unfortunately it was just a warm sloppy plate of food.
We will no doubt probably be returning to the Premier Inn but we certainly won't be returning to Maxis.

1  Thank greatexpectations64
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

Beautiful restaurant, very authentic looking, food was unfortunately terrible.
I had a prawn cocktail to start, the prawns were warm and dry and absolutely gross.
We had prawn crackers put on the table why we later got charged for.
For the main I had sweet and sour chicken which was completing undercooked. My husband and daughter had squid was was dry and overcooked!
We had noodles that were £5.50 each and were shocked at what we got, we expected cooked noodles, perhaps with bean sprouts maybe. Instead we got uncooked crispy things. Imagine uncooked pasta, that’s what it was like, like they needed to be put in a pan of hot boiling water to cook!! They tasted dreadful. It was very strange.
The bill came to £77 which for 3 people was a lot. It was painful paying it.
I would avoid this place at all costs. Absolute waste of money. Won’t be returning

1  Thank Laura462230