All reviews swimming pool steam room manager chris city centre lovely pool four poster minute walk the hotel manager lovely hotel car park the hotel is clean booked this hotel good size family room full english bus stop enjoyable stay
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Many Floor boards broken in bedroom, shower did not work, noisy - guests shouting till 00:45. Staff attempted to gain entry at 07:45.

We could feel the individual bed springs digging into us , difficult to find a comfortable position.

You wont get rewards points unless you book with Best Western ( which is more expensive)

No soundproofing and tiny rooms.

The Hotel needs a full refurbishment

No lift to upper floors so no good for those with difficulty walking

Room tip: Dont consider this hotel - much better hotels nearer to city centre
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Dear 208philipl,

Firstly may I sincerely apologise for not meeting with your expectations on this trip. It is always a big disappointment to both myself and all the staff when a guest has not enjoyed their stay with us.
The floor boards do creak in the older part of the building but are not broken as you suggest the building was built in 1871.
I have checked the shower and it works fine but I do see that it can be difficult to work out so I will look into that.
The guests in the lounge had just come back from a night out, this is not a hotel full of revellers and they did keep the noise down after you had called the duty manager and he had seen them. Noise from other guest is very difficult to control and as I have said we do not encounter this problem often.
I am baffled as to who you think tried to get into your room as the housekeeping do not start until 8am and all other staff are busy serving breakfast. I can only assume it was the guest in the next room getting into their room.
I will take a look at the bed and change the mattress if needed but that room is in use all the time and you are the first to mention it.
The room you had cannot be classed as small for a three star hotel but you are entitled to your own opinion.
We do not have a lift nor to we say we have one, we are however more than happy to assist with luggage. We also have ground floor rooms but you are better calling direct on 01904625787 to guarantee this. Booking direct with a hotel is usually the place to find the best price.

The Bestwestern reward scheme is exactly that a reward for loyal members of Bestwestern you only get points when you book direct with the hotel or on the Bestwestern websites. I have to say it is one of the best schemes around with your points never expiring along with many other benefits but you must adhere to the simple rules.
As for the hotel needing a full refurbishment we are constantly spending money on the hotel and listen to our guest very carefully.

Once again I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us but hope you have many happy trips in the future.

Yours

Chris Betteridge
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Visited York over bank holiday; Kilima hotel had a warm friendly atmosphere. Room was spacious and well presented. Ended up going for a swim in the morning of our departure, pool was warm and wasn’t busy at all.
Overall the price of the hotel was worth it!

Thanks for a great stay!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear karl l,

Glad you enjoyed your morning swim I think its a great way to start the day and with only around 6 hotels having a pool in York I feel very lucky.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed at the Kilima for 2 nights. Lovely welcome, very helpful. Room was nice and big with everything you need.
Breakfast service was excellent with plenty of choice.
Staff really make this hotel.
Was a nice distance from the city centre and easy to find from the train station.
Would definitely return and stay again.
Thank you.

Dear mstee5,

I look forward to your next visit and know you will have a great time again in York.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for three days over the bank holiday weekend and was very happy with the hotel.
The room was very larger and comfortable, the whole hotel is kept very clean and all the staff were polite and friendly. Breakfast was nice and the weather was excellent, but i dont think the hotel can take the credit for that.
Would definitely recommend and stay again.

Dear miccck,

Glad you had a great holiday and yes I personally turned the sun on each morning.
Please call direct for the best price on 01904625787.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

After several years of staying at The Kilima we were not disappointed. Staff excellent, good breakfast, location great 10 mins walk to town centre 20 mins to racecourse. A happy and inviting hotel to stay. Can't recommend it high enough.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
KILIMA, Manager at Best Western Kilima Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2018

Dear Wendy,

Thank you once again for your great review I will pass on your comments.
Don't forget to call me if you come up in the summer and tell hubby to bring the clubs.