1,449 results
All reviewsthe main housedrawing roomnational trustdownton abbeyearly morning teacountry housestately homepublic roomson arrivalsteam roomrelaxing breakyorkshire breakfastroad noisewonderful hotelyork racecoursebirthday treatbeautiful building
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed here for one night and loved the place, truly special, excellent service.

I cannot wait to return. A lovely retreat. Would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 8 November 2010

There is one outstanding feature about this hotel, which is the excellent level of service. Let me give you an example. On arrival, my back went into spasm and I was in some discomfort. A porter came out and asked my name. He immediately knew that I was staying for three nights and my room number. In the blink of an eye, all my luggage was transferred to the room. This level of service continued everywhere.....the reception, bar staff, restaurant staff, spa staff, cleaners everyone. It was like stepping back into a bygone age. The level of service throughout the whole establishment is exceptional.
The hotel itself is some two miles outside of York. Tip....the bus stops right outside the hotel and this is much more convenient than taking a car into York, where parking is limited and expensive. There is so much to do in York itself that in three days, we barely scrapped the service. I do recommend a trip to Bettys Tea Rooms and can now understand why there seems to be constant ( fast moving ) queues at all times of the day.
Back to the hotel itself. We had a cottage in the grounds, which was a real home from home. Spotlessly clean, warm and cosy. We only dined in the restaurant one evening. It is not cheap ( table d'hote allowance is £43 ) but it is very good. Breakfast was excellent with an imaginative menu, in addition to the traditional continental and Yorkshire breakfast. The building itself is now part of the National Trust, with excellent gardens etc. However, there is only one star of the show and I salute the owner of this establishment for its superlative levels of service.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Service is great and the building is beautiful, but the rooms are stuffy and feel dated. Literally, as beginning in autumn when the heat is turned on for the hotel it's hard to regulate the temperature in the rooms. If it happens to be a warm night, the rooms become sweltering (there's no a/c to compensate). It's also a few kilometers out of town, which may or may not be disadvantageous. Next time I'll stay at the Cedar Court Grand, which looks as historic but has been modernized at the same time.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I could not have made a better choice for a surprise weekend away with my partner to celebrate our 25th Engagement Anniversary. From the moment I emailed them, to the time we left, they could not have been more welcoming, accomodating and friendly. They went out of their way to help with the surprise, obviously, he knew we were going away but not where in the country or which hotel. To do this, they "played" along with me in that I suggested to my partner we could look around a National Trust Property as we had arrived too early to book into our hotel. When the porter opened the door for us, I "realised" my mistake but they offered to show us around.. As this was an exceptionally beautiful warm sunny day, once we had walked round the gardens and grounds, we sat outside and enjoyed coffee and biscuits. We went back to the car, drove past the Hotel and I asked him to pull in to take a photograph and then told him this was were we were staying, it was worth every penny to see his face !
However, I then had a wonderful surprise as although I had booked a room in the main house, they had given us a complimentary upgrade to a suite! Then we had a lovely card in our suite from Mr Chartard, the General Manager offering his congratulations and then later on, complimentary glass of pink champange each. The house is absolutely beautiful, the staff the best we have ever come across and the food was exceptional both in the evening and at breakfast. We were made to feel so welcome at all times they made this the weekend of a lifetime. The Spa and pool is lovely and the perfect way to work up an appitite for the evening meal. Food was supberb and definately the best we have ever had (even beat the Four Seasons).
Suite was beautiful, lovely Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries and housekeeping was perfect . We felt as though we were staying in a beautiful old home, not just a hotel, a great atmostphere, beautiful flowers everywhere. Stunning lounge, libary and lovely fires to sit by and have drinks before the meal.
Basically, everything was perfect and not one negative .
This is expensive but you certainly got more than your moneys worth so it wasn't for the stay that we had! I am so glad I chose Middlethorpe Hall and if I could, I would return frequently. If you are considering a stay and reading this review, book it, I promise that you will be extremely glad that you did. You dont just have a weekend away, you have a fantastic experience. Mr Chartard and his staff are to be commended for the way they run the hotel and make guests feel like friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hillviewengland
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Just returned from a one nights break at Middlethorpe Hall and Spa and its was fabulous.
On arrival, the reception staff were really friendly I mentioned we were recently married and looking forward to relaxing. I also asked for tea and coffee making facilities which was brought to our room with no extra cost (have read that people gave this a negative...just ask)
We stayed in a superior room in the courtyard. The room was so quaint and decorated with little ornaments and wooden furniture.
The spa is lovely and wasn't busy.
On return from the spa, a complimentary bottle of champagne had been put into our room as we were recently married! we were really taken aback.
The main house and gardens are spectacular, almost like a museum with grand rooms extremely well kept.
The staff are brilliant and make you feel very welcome.
Definitely going back. Not one negative.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple