1,459 results
All reviews the main house drawing room national trust downton abbey early morning tea country house stately home public rooms on arrival steam room relaxing break yorkshire breakfast road noise wonderful hotel york racecourse birthday treat beautiful building
Reviewed 9 November 2017

My husband and I had a lovely Afternoon Tea today here and although I have been a number of times before, I was really pleased that they catered VERY WELL for my husbands Coeliac (Gluten Free). In fact he had like for like as I did albeit on separate 3 tier cake stands. We had a selection of sandwiches - Egg Mayo, Coronation chicken, cheese & tomato chutney and Prawn with lemon creme fresh/salad, followed by scone, clotted cream with jam. There was a selection of 3 cakes, lemon, apple & cinnamon and fruit cake, although my husband three pieces of the same type - cinnamon and apple. And just to make sure you were really full, to follow there was a mint macaroon, chocolate moose, mini eclair and a blackcurrant set fruit square (my husbands was chocolate). There was a lovely selection of teas and the service was very friendly and attentive without being in your face! WELL DONE!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

I visited Middlethorpe Hall years ago and remembered how lovely it was when I returned for a special birthday lunch for my friend on Saturday 4 November.

All the staff were so helpful - from walking into reception and sorting pre lunch drinks to when we left, four glorious hours later! Our lunch was delicious - a very creative menu & obviously an extremely talented chef. All the reception rooms / lounge areas looked beautiful with lovely flower arrangements (flowers from the garden & arranged by a local lady I believe) and crackling fires - so warm and welcoming.

Thank you to all the staff and in particular our lovely waitress who left before we had coffee. My friend thoroughly enjoyed her afternoon celebrating her '30th' birthday???!!!

Planning a return soon - a little gem of a place.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Like another reviewer we stayed just for one night. We were in the garden suite which had its own courtyard with fish pond. The little extras like the chocolates, biscuits and fresh milk in the fridge just added to the warm welcome we received from staff. We also made use of the spa.

The breakfast was lovely and served in the main house with views of the garden. After breakfast we walked round the gardens and would have done the lake walk if the weather had been better. Would recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: The garden suite was so quiet
Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Visited for afternoon tea with my husband with a voucher bought as a birthday present earlier in the year. We were intrigued to see what changes had been made to the place since we were last there in the late 1970s when it was upmarket nightclub Brummels. We weren’t disappointed for although it was just about unrecognisable (the chequered floored entrance hall and grand wooden staircase were still there) it had all been very sympathetically restored to the fine country house hotel that it is. The afternoon tea was wonderful, beautifully presented, and the silver pots kept the tea and hot water piping hot for ages. A selection of sandwiches and lots of tiny, colourful, exquisite cakes and mousses. A good selection of different teas and the most wonderful service from every member of staff, all of whom were pleased to explain the transformation of the hotel. Highly recommended. Only wish we’d been staying the night!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2017

We had always wanted to stay at this hotel and we never seemed to manage it. Well now we have and we now regret that we hadn't done it sooner. The hotel and grounds are amazing. The staff were very friendly and professional and our room was lovely and cosy. Breakfast was a delight and we can't wait to return next year.

Stayed: October 2017