1,454 results
All reviews the main house drawing room national trust downton abbey early morning tea country house stately home public rooms on arrival steam room relaxing break yorkshire breakfast road noise birthday treat wonderful hotel york racecourse beautiful building
Reviewed 17 February 2015

Lovely old building and gardens, but expensive. Good food, but lack of tea making facility means you are reliant on room service. We had an awful pot tea which was colds hen it arrived, despite this, we did have a pleasant Stay. Bedroom quite small and in the annexe which meant we had to walk outside to access the main building, which was chilly.

Room Tip: Annexe small and outside
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2015

We stayed one night in a Courtyard room while visiting York. The hotel feels very grand and old fashioned. The double room was well decorated in what I would call 1950s garden room style, room service was speedy and the included breakfast was very good. Wifi was (surprisingly) pretty good.

The staff were all very friendly and were happy to give advice about places to see in our short visit.

Really beautiful setting and a nice, quiet place to relax after the noise and crowds in York.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeannehc
Reviewed 16 February 2015

Stayed over Valentine weekend. Hotel is a beautiful property in a lovely setting about 2 miles outside York
We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms which was spacious, beautifully decorated and furnished and very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was of the highest quality and the service, across the board, was quite simply superb. All the staff were friendly, professional and courteous at all times and could not be faulted in any way whatsoever. I cannot recall seeing so many staff for the number of guests in any other hotel.
The only reason I have not given the hotel an "excellent" rating is because the spa whilst adequate, does not, in my view, live up to the standard of the rest of the hotel facilities. However we only used the pool/sauna and steam room (the hot tub was out of order) so I cannot comment on the quality of the spa services or fitness suite.
My only other comment relates to the cost of the drinks which I found to be extremely expensive. Notwithstanding this it is an excellent hotel and I would certainly recommend it, although be mindful that such quality comes at a price.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Baggieboy_9
Reviewed 13 February 2015

40 years ago this was a nightclub complex where my wife-to-be and I had many good nights out. Now it's a lovely atmospheric property with period lounge and dining areas. The service is excellent and the menu unusual but delicious. It's still our favourite place for special occasions.

• Stayed: February 2015
3  Thank Borntobewide
Reviewed 9 February 2015

Middlethorpe Hall is a beautiful setting. We visited for an afternoon reception for a family occasion. Fifty or so guests were anticipated. The room was exquisitely furnished with lovely décor and a roaring fire to keep us warm in January. A very comfortable relaxing venue. The buffet was absolutely lovely, delicious food and on a grand scale. The service from polite helpful staff was excellent and guests with special dietary needs were catered for extremely well. We really enjoyed our reception and there were many positive comments from guests.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends