Last weekend we visited the Middlethorpe for a Saturday relaxing stay. The Hotel from the outside looks very impressive and did not disappoint when we entered. We were looking for a traditional, old style feeling and that is exactly what we got.
On arrival we were upgraded to the main building, and upon entering the room I was pleasantly surprised that it was warm, as usually you have to wait for the room to heat up. On a cold day these simple touches are appreciated. The room was large and had antique furniture in. The bathroom was also of a good size with under floor heating and his and hers sinks.
We had afternoon tea, which was very nice sitting in the drawing room looking out over the grounds. This is one of the best afternoon teas I have had in a while. The tea was a plenty and the selection of cakes was great, with over seven types for both of you to try. You can even have a box to take the cakes away if you can't finish all of them.
In the evening we had the six course taster menu, which again was superb. The different courses were full of taste, and the service was unpretentious and welcoming.
All staff were friendly and again the breakfast in the morning was good, especially the cooked breakfast.
I have given the hotel four stars because of two things, the bed was far to soft for me and the pillows, although this is obviously down to taste and the shower was not quite powerful enough. It was also difficult to turn on if you didn't, want to get your hair wet as it was non moveable, so you have to do a balancing act with your foot!
I would definitely recommend for a short visit to York, as only 5 mins down the road by car
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Now part of the National Trust - all profits donated to the charity. Overlooking York Racecourse, Middlethorpe Hall is close to the city of York yet enjoys 20 acres of its own peaceful gardens and parkland. It has an award-winning restaurant, the Oak Dining Room, and a heavenly spa with swimming pool. Decorated in traditional country house style, Middlethorpe is furnished with antiques and fine paintings consistent with the period of the house. Beautifully appointed bedrooms are located in the main house and the 18th-century courtyard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Booking.com, lastminute.com.au, Expedia APAC, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Cancelon so you can book your Middlethorpe Hall & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Middlethorpe Hall Hotel York
- Middlethorpe Hall And Spa
- Middlethorpe Hall York