“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
York, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

14 of us went for afternoon tea and as we were a large party and had booked well in advance we had a lot of communication with one of the managers who had been extremely helpful. As there were several vegetarians, a wheat, gluten and dairy allery sufferer, and a nut allergy sufferer we had forewarned the hotel and were told that this would easily be accomodated. Unfortunately on the day the waiting staff appeared to be completely unaware of this and were surprised when it was mentioned. Subsequently the vegetarians were told to "just eat the vegetarian sandwiches" which were mixed up with all the others, meaning that everyone else was limited to the non vegetarian sandwiches, the nut allergy sufferer was told what she shouldn't eat without any alternative being offered. They did cater seperately for the wheat, gluten and dairy allergy sufferer but I felt that as everyone had paid the same being told what you can and can't eat without any alternative being offered was not good service when they had been informed very much in advance of the event.

For myself I thoroughly enjoyed all of the food and it was of a very high quality, but as the person who had organised it I felt very uncomfortable and upset for some members of my party. I would personally go again but only with a very small party. I wouldn't recommend it to vegetarians or allergy sufferers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RBTT1980
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay afternoon tea with us.

After looking in to this, and having spoken to my colleague who took this reservation, the notes on your booking read that you had dietary requirements for 2 guests who had gluten allergies.
We prepared sandwiches on special gluten free bread for these 2 guests. Naturally we will endeavour to cater for any other special preferences / dietary requirements and it is always recommended that we are notified of this in advance. Vegetarian options of course is something that we easily cater for every day and is not an issue. Vegetarian and non vegetarian sandwiches should have course been served on seperate plates so I apologise if this was not the case.

As always, we welcome all direct guest feedback to help us improve our service standards, so it is disappointing that we have only been made aware of your dissatisfaction on this forum.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at the Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future, whether you be in a small party or large, we will happily accommodate all of your needs and expectations.

Graeme Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed for two nights at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel, from arriving to leaving everything was perfect. Spotless, comfortable and luxurious are but a few words to describe this hotel. The staff were all really helpful and curtious - nothing was too much trouble. The location is great with plenty of bars and restaurants just on the door step. We will stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My stay at the Cedar Grand Court was for my first visit to York and I felt, as I entered the lobby, that I had stepped back in time to the 1920s! (In a good way, of course.)
They offer a valet parking service so a uniformed driver took my boyfriend's car and we were shown around the facilities in the Executive Suite room we were staying in.
The room was decorated in a simple yet elegant style, with a large bed and dark wooden furnishings. The bathroom was large with both a shower and a bath, which was set in cream coloured marble. The floor was heated and the sink had an array of Molton Brown toiletries for our use.
The restaurant had a small and intimate feeling to it with knowledgeable staff who also served amazing cocktails. (They cost from around £9 upwards but this is a 5* hotel and they really were worth it.) We had a three course meal each and I have to say the steak was one of the nicest I have tried to date. We also had breakfast and Afternoon Tea at the Cedar Court Grand which again were delightful experiences, serving the highest quality food and drinks with very polite and courteous staff who helped us to choose from their vast menu of teas and coffees. The cakes served at Afternoon Tea were heavenly, particularly their scones wrapped in 'blankets' to keep them warm and the little pastry discs with berries and a meringue topping. (See photo)
We were booked in for a massage and use of the spa facilities and I have to say I haven't felt as relaxed as I did afterwards in a long time! The pool area had gently changing lights to create a therapeutic mood and there was also a jacuzzi and sauna/steam room. The massuese was very professional and knowledgeable; she could instantly identify that I had a stressful job as soon as she felt the knots in my back :s
The most enjoyable element of the whole stay though was the traditional feeling and elegant ambience of the hotel and the high standards of everything that they had to offer.
It was great to see the city of York but the experience of staying at the Cedar Grand Court Hotel and Spa was the definite highlight and the memories will be long remembered.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Dear Guest

Wow !! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and took the opportunity to take advantage of several of our facilities including our Cocktail Bar, Award Winning Grill Room Restaurant and Spa.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Leeds
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Absolutely met my expectations - polite, attentive staff, very friendly. Beautiful room, fab bar and great breakfast. Concierge really helpful. Felt really well looked after! Pool small but beautiful, great button to turn on a resistance current. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was out of order but this was explained to as soon as we went into the spa. Beds very confutable, towels fluffy - couldn't have asked for more!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank BAGEL01
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Spa.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Everything about this hotel was perfect. I stayed with my boyfriend in Feb 2012 as a romantic surprise. From the second we checked in, we were treat like royalty. We were checked in by Poppy who was just lovely and then got took up by concierge to our room. He opened the door and then saw a lovely surprise that was organised by my boyfriend (who probs harrased the staff beforehand- so even putting up with that thank you)
The room was heaven... very spacious... immaculate... 2 chairs...huge comfy bed with dressing gowns... huge bathroom, heated floor, a very luxurious bath and double shower! Oh girls, Molton brown toiletries :-)
Every member of staff we came into contact with was so pleasant and lovely .
I will be saving the pennies so I can come back again!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sweetness86
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.