14 of us went for afternoon tea and as we were a large party and had booked well in advance we had a lot of communication with one of the managers who had been extremely helpful. As there were several vegetarians, a wheat, gluten and dairy allery sufferer, and a nut allergy sufferer we had forewarned the hotel and were told that this would easily be accomodated. Unfortunately on the day the waiting staff appeared to be completely unaware of this and were surprised when it was mentioned. Subsequently the vegetarians were told to "just eat the vegetarian sandwiches" which were mixed up with all the others, meaning that everyone else was limited to the non vegetarian sandwiches, the nut allergy sufferer was told what she shouldn't eat without any alternative being offered. They did cater seperately for the wheat, gluten and dairy allergy sufferer but I felt that as everyone had paid the same being told what you can and can't eat without any alternative being offered was not good service when they had been informed very much in advance of the event.
For myself I thoroughly enjoyed all of the food and it was of a very high quality, but as the person who had organised it I felt very uncomfortable and upset for some members of my party. I would personally go again but only with a very small party. I wouldn't recommend it to vegetarians or allergy sufferers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Odigeo, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotelopia so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa