“Best we've ever tasted”

Ranked #15 of 225 Restaurants in Whitby
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Reviewed 20 October 2018

We love Trenchers, people serving are ace always friendly look like they enjoy their work. Food is always amazing we love there fish & chips they cater really well for me being a coeliac it's never a problem part of their everyday menu? We'd recommend them to anyone, fab choice of food and perfect location. It's a joy to eat their food & drink their wide selection of beer & wine.

Date of visit: October 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (3,845)

Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

After looking at different menus outside numerous restaurants a bloke outside recommended we try it as he thought they were good, so we went in. It’s quite large and staff were very friendly. Our waitress, Karen was fabulous. She was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped me decide. She was very conscientious too and asked if we wanted air con changing. She was great with all her customers and she had clearly tried the foods on offer. I had a beer which was nicely kept. Toilets were upstairs but there have a lift if you cannot manage the stairs. The food was fabulous and homemade. I had the fish pie and my son had the fish cakes. Some nice puddings too. I can recommend the trifle. I would highly recommend. I will definitely visit again when I’m next in Whitby.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

Restaurant was reasonable busy when we arrived and we got a great table for the 4 of us. Decided we wanted to experience fish and chips in the east and not need to sit on a bench with the seagulls circling! Service was great and the kids menu is for children up to the age of 14 which is great as many restaurants make this a lot younger and children in the in-between stage end up with a meal just too large. Fish and chips was amazing as was the scampi and calamari we had for a starter. Great value for money and would definitely go back if in area. Looked like there were a lot of regulars there which is always a good sign.

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely fish and chip restaurant. Ordered the large haddock didn't expect a whale . Cooked to perfection. When you are in Whitby you really have a choice of great fish and chip shops but this is one of the best. Slightly more expensive than some but well worth the extra expense.

Reviewed 18 October 2018

Good service, good food, no queue (quiet time in Whitby) and no complaints. We preferred the décor and atmosphere in the Magpie which felt more restaurant in the evening whereas Trenchers felt more "café" even at 8pm. We didn't have fish and chips so cannot compare in that regard. All the food we had was good and others' food looked great as well. Would happily return.