“Lovely, friendly, good vaule for money!”
Review of Seacliffe Hotel

Seacliffe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Why there are so many bad reviews about this place is a mystery to myself and family who spent the weekend here. We stayed in room 14 which had spectacular sea views, en suit shower room, the room was modernly decorated with all the faclitites you need for a weekend away, tea and coffee making facilities including biscuits. There was a hair dryer, dressing table, wardrobe with plenty of hangers and a very comfortable double bed.
My sister and her partner stayed in another sea view room on the lower floor which was just as lovely.
The breakfasts where great ... Ceral, fruits, yoghurt, and full English including a vegaterian option, also there was no issue at all with swapping hash browns etc and having different types of eggs nothing was too much trouble.
If I where to be picky I would also say it was a little noisey at night the Saturday night in particular, but we all go on and have a few drinks don't we?! The Sunday night was lovely and quite peaceful.
It is vaule for money and the people who I'm sure just like complaining for the sake of it, are expecting 5 star accommodation in a Yorkshire sea side town at a £90 a room not going to happen! I will be returning late in the year.

• Stayed: February 2012
8  Thank Mmatchett27
There are newer reviews for Seacliffe Hotel

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a short break In January. We had a seaview room on the 2nd floor (Room14)
It was very clean and comfortable and it was lovely to wake up in the morning to such a lovely view out of the window. Breakfasts were really nice. If you like your eggs poached the chef here certainly knows how to cook them properly. We also had an evening meal as we were a bit unsure what would be open so out of season. Again we had a lovely meal at a reasonable price. It is about a 15 minute walk into Whitby town but we enjoyed this. If you like walking turn left out of the hotel and walk to Sandsend. Further round the coast road there is a path at the far end of the car park which eventually takes you to Runswick. (Where you can get the bus back to Whitby and a well earned drink in the 'SamSmiths' Jolly Sailors pub)

Room Tip: Room 14 is a decent size room with a good size bathroom as seaview
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank annclare01
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Great place to stay for a family with teenagers. Originally booked for 2 nights but extended it for an extra night. Had lovely rooms, fabulous breakfast. Lovely evening meals. Owners and staff very helpful. Great fountains of knowledge on the history of Whitby and surrounding areas. Good location for an early morning walk.

Room Tip: Room 8 great for the kids, Room 17 lovely for adults
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Ramma_4
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Having stayed with my family across 4 rooms I feel that I can give a full review of this hotel. Unfortaunately some of the negative comments below appear to be true.
Room 9 IS a nightmare to stay in. One of my party stayed in this room and it was very noisy with doors constantly slamming and hearing way too much of the couples antics upstairs.

I myself had a nice sea view room however I too could hear everything going on above me from snoring to using the toliet, also the floor boards creak so I was woken early in the morning and late at night as guests came back/left for the day as my door was right by the stairs.

The other room we had was on the next floor up and they had much less problems.
The breakfast was nice and well cooked and all the staff we spoke to were friendly however there is nothing that could be done about the noise. As mentioned before the hotel does stink of cooking oil around dinner time which put us off eating at dinner.
We had a nice break away but the hotel experiences did put a dampner on our break.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room on the top floor to avoid noise disturbance. if this is not possible I...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Ontheball84
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Owners very nice and helpful
Dawn very polite and pleasant(didnt quite understand her job title, as seemed to be doing an awful lot of everything,,(give the girl a payrise!
Double room was small, but compact, however DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 9!..Woken up all night with noise from above, up and down stairs, doors banging, toilet flushing, could hear every move they made upstairs!!
Complained to management as wanted to come home after very little sleep, offered accommodation 2 doors down(family) couple very nice and chatty, did get a good nights sleep....shame we had to move and not the guests making noise!..Received very little discount for inconvenience .. However good breakfast, and pleasant visit to Whitby, shame about the rain :(

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple