“Awful Food”

Harriets Cafe Tearooms
Ranked #150 of 894 Restaurants in Norwich
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Lovely tearooms and staff, but the fish and chips that my sister and myself ordered were awful. The fish was supposed to be cod, but could have been dogfish. The batter looked inviting but was soggy and floury inside. The chips were cooked in too high a fat, or else it needed cleaning. We both left most of our meal, but didn't complain to the staff as we were trying to enjoy a family get together and both my sister and I didn't want the company we were with to feel embarrassed. We will not go again and we will not recommend.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

My partner and I stopped into Harriet’s Cafe Tearooms on a whim while on holiday in Norwich. A charming if modern interior with a pianist made for a lovely setting.

The staff were friendly and very attentive. The afternoon teas were very good, sandwiches very light as they should be (this is afternoon tea, folks, don’t expect a whopping big sandwich!), the scones were lovely, although more clotted cream wouldn’t have gone amiss. The portions of the cakes on the top tier were massive - but they acknowledged this by offering us a box and stating that they expect it.

Would be very happy to go back here.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

I went to Harriet’s for a friends baby shower. We were given the room at the top of the building which was a lovely big room and was really nice. I have to say service was excellent, it was a lovely experience and a real treat to have a private room but if you haven’t got the quality within the food it doesn’t matter where you are it all feels disappointing and that’s what it was. I had the top priced tea experience £26.00, bubbly was fine but the cream tea for me was so bland. Sandwiches edible, 2 small scones edible, and a selection of small cakes, some edible others not so, which was so disappointing as I can assure you when it comes to your table it looks Devine and you really do go ooohhh, but once you make your way through this glorious delight that’s been placed in front of you, that’s when it starts to go downhill. Such a shame because this tea room is a real delight and who doesn’t like a cream tea experience.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Popped in for a treat breakfast, the French toast was amazing! Staff were really friendly and service was excellent.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

On our first visit to Norwich, we ended up choosing Harriet’s Tea Room as our lunchtime stop-off on Mother’s Day.
First impressions were good; from the downstairs entrance, it looks quite upmarket inside; well presented, and with a lady playing the piano to accompany you while you eat. They made room for us, even though we hadn’t booked.
So far so good.

We were seated upstairs, which it has to be said, is less presentable than the downstairs, still nothing to complain about though, and there looked to be many tasty dishes around on neighbouring tables.
However, the part that should have been most enjoyable - i.e. the eating and drinking - was disappointing, predominantly due to the excessive price being charged for the Mother’s Day ‘special afternoon tea’.
Two of us didn’t even want this option, but were told by the waitress that the only afternoon tea they were offering today was the Mothers Day special, which, naturally, was £2 dearer than even the most expensive of the three usual afternoon tea choices they offer, presumably because, well, it’s Mother’s Day, so why not?
At £23 pound per head, that’s quite an expensive light lunch, but being a tearoom, afternoon tea was what we came for, so we thought we’d give it a whirl.
Even then we wouldn’t have minded if it was all outstanding, but sadly, it just wasn’t. None of the sandwiches, scones or cakes were particularly noteworthy - I’ve had better examples of each in plenty of other locations - and you didn’t get much for your money either.

So all in all, there wasn’t necessarily anything bad; the staff were friendly, the place was nice enough, it just didn’t live up to expectations, and I was definitely left feeling like I’d been cheated of my money just because it was Mothers Day and they could charge more.
Perhaps on a normal day we would have had a much better experience, who knows.
But we wouldn’t rush back at any rate.