“Hidden Hotel in Norwich in an ugly commercial location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Norwich

Holiday Inn Express Norwich
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Burton-in-Kendal, United Kingdom
“Hidden Hotel in Norwich in an ugly commercial location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Week-end stay at "hidden hotel" in a particularly ugly commercial setting. I wasn't the only map reader who couldn't find this place, others used sat nav and they couldn't find it either. The road signage is either hidden amongst the rest of the commercial sites adjacent or non existent. Hidden in a valley behind an Asda superstore, ( green signs) and their petrol station entrance, one has to negotiate a few downhill hairpin bends before one gets a view of the hotel squashed next to the ugliest building in Britain...an ice rink and a very noisy gym club next door. The location is probably the worst I have ever seen for an hotel and that says something. The pity of it is, is that the hotel and its staff are very nice. We had an excellent deal for the week-end which included breakfast and the other evening meals were very reasonably priced as were the bar prices. This an Express and therefore isn't up to the same standard as the usual Holiday Inns in facilities but the overall impression was fine.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with an adjoining room door. Next door neighbours stayed up yakking until 2am...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank willewalker
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

I am sorry to hear the problems you experienced during your stay and would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience cause.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like the hotel location and adjoining buildings. I totally understand your frustration regarding difficulties you faced with locating our property. I can ensure you that our hotel team will check this issue and a necessary action will be taken to improve on the problem as well as precise hotel location will be added to hotel description.

I am glad that the issue on arrival did not spoil your stay with us and I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding evening meals service and hotel staff.

Again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience online.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Norwich on our recent visit to Norwich as it was the best value for money for two people out of all the hotels we found (and it included breakfast). We knew it was a bit out of the city centre and also knew it was on a retail park which we weren't bothered about. When we arrived the first impression was good - modern and friendly staff. We went to our room which was typical for the Holiday Inn chain and quite spacious. Our room faced the Sports Village which wasn't very exciting but like I said, we didn't expect wonderful views and we weren't there to look out of the window all day anyway! The room was fairly clean - there were a few marks on the carpet which was also a bit rucked up and some areas could do with a bit of updating (shower hose seemed to be pulled and someone seemed to have used the small bathroom bin as a step as it was all dented). The breakfast buffet was basic but we enjoyed it - I particulary liked the cappuccino from their machine.

All in all, there could be a little more attention to detail in certain areas in the room but we thought it was good value for money and we would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soleilduparadis
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 10 April 2012

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you didn't come across any problems during your stay. I am also glad that you found the hotel staff to be friendly.

I also would like to apologize for a maintenance issue in your room. We take great care to ensure that important issues such as the maintenance of the hotel are properly dealt with, and your comment has been communicated back to our Maintenance team.

I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel following a work night out, and it was clean, comfortable and for a very reasonable price inc breakfast extremely good value!
The staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: All rooms that myself and colleagues stayed in were excellent quality and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank fcbt345
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience online.

I am very glad that our hotel met all your expectation and you did not come across any problem during your stay. Thank you for the positive comment about room cleanliness and breakfast selection.

I am also please to hear that you found the hotel staff to be friendly. Our staff strives to deliver an excellent experience for every guest, every time. I am very glad to hear that our reception staff played an essential role in providing that experience for you.

I hope that you will be able to return to Norwich soon, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The staff here are friendly, check in was easy and breakfast was well organised. The room I was in felt tired and the carpet smelt a bit damp.

The car park is shared with Asda, Virgin active and an ice rink, so it's a bit of a nightmare.

Overall though it was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank JamesShelley
UlaCiesielska, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Norwich, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property online.

It was great to hear you were pleased with your breakfast service and found the hotel staff to be friendly. I will ensure that I share your comments with our hotel Team.

I would like to apologize for the car park issue. Fortunately the car parking is free of charge and additional car park spaces can be found at the bottom level of Asda car park facilities in close distance to the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you found the room to feel tired and carpet to be worn out. I will ensure that this comment will be communicated back to the Maintenance and House Keeping departments and that all issues will be dealt with properly.

Once again thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Norwich and I hope to welcome you again to our hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

NIce Hotel , Room was clean and comfortable, staff friendly
car was busy, but not a major issue, just glad to have free parking ! breakfast was fine, When back in Norwich will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank j0llyjenks
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Norwich.

It is great to know that the friendly and helpful attitude we promote has been appreciated on this occasion.

I am pleased you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and that you did not come across any issues.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.