“Best place ever for Chicken Dansak”

The Merchants of Spice
Ranked #55 of 889 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: USD 25 - USD 64
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our first meal at this Indian restaurant, the Merchants of Spice, in the old quarter of Norwich. Nice location, pleasant interior and very good cooking. My wife, whose favourite dishes are prawn and chicken danzak, said that her chicken danzak was "the best I've ever had," so big tick for me in choosing this place. For mains, I had chicken korma and thought it excellent. The restaurant is not large and the menu is not extensive. But what you get is delicious food made from very good ingredients at reasonable prices. This is a quality restaurant. We also appreciated polite and proper waiter service and will definitely be re-visiting. Best to book ahead.

1  Thank ArchCritic

Reviewed 29 March 2018

enjoyed a vey good meal here however was more than concerned by what looked like security cameras all over the ceiling and over the tables where we sat in the in the front room on the left hand side.

Until I am satisfied they are NOT CAMERAS i dont think i could eat there again. hate to think somebody is looking at .................?

Shame as food is very good.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I phoned up to order a takeaway, the man who answered the phone just said "hello", he then sighed when I asked to place and order, he left me on old for about 2 minutes then said "what do you want"
I hung up at this point and ordered from the Merchants of spice 2 in Thorpe st Andrew instead where I was treated like a customer rather than a nuisance.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Have been a couple of times and would go again because there is so much to choose from. The service is attentive and unobtrusive, the surroundings are lush and comfortable, and the food is excellent with well balanced flavours.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Upon entering on a cold and wintry March night, we were greeted the wonderful aroma of freshly prepared curry and a very helpful member of staff who would be our waiter for night. This restaurant is modern, yet serving classic and homely food, which is a clever balance. For starters I ordered the Dall Puri, which full of flavour and perfect for getting the taste buds prepared for mains. My fiancée had the Chicken Tikka starter, which left a clear and empty plate behind, so must have been good too.

For mains, I had the Lamb Karahi, with pilau rice and it was heavenly. The spicing was perfect and the lamb was as tender as can be, real melt in the mouth. My fiancée had the Vegetable Tikka Jalfrezi with Pilau, which certainly had plenty of chillies to warm one up, again, both dishes were cleared. We both shared a tasty garlic naan, which was ample of mopping up any remaining sauce. There was also a Saag Aloo, which was very tasty. Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert.

The staff were all very friendly, the service was brilliant and the atmosphere was perfect and full of happy diners. This is a lovely modern restaurant which prides itself on great home cooked curries, with great cooking skills and brilliant spice balancing. The prices are more premium than other places, but this place can be forgiven, as it certainly delivers on what you pay for.

2  Thank jameswatling