“Tasty BUT!”

Ranked #116 of 894 Restaurants in Norwich
Price range: USD 9 - USD 20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Perched along the pretty riverside in Norwich city centre, Bella Italia is a great place to enjoy a bite to eat, Italian style. Just a few streets away from Norwich train station, this waterside branch of Bella Italia, one of three in Norwich, offers a relaxed, family style ambience. Typical rustic Italian interiors with tiled flooring and walls adorned with poster prints of all sizes create just the right atmosphere for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The a la carte menu is a veritable feast of classic Italian dishes, such as the Polpette Americano (meatballs in a rich tomato sauce atop a bed of steaming spaghetti) or the succulent sirloin steak fillet served with garlic mushrooms, fries and a rocket salad. Those with a sweet tooth are in for a treat with the dessert list with the likes of tiramisu and mascarpone cheesecake on offer.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We visited Bella Italia at the Riverside midweek, it wasn't exactly busy but very welcoming.
Our waiter Mark was very attentive and friendly.
Unfortunately the food presentation was not up to the standard we have experienced at other Bella Italia's.
Our starters were the Polpette. Unusually small in size (We were pre warned only small meetballs were available that evening) but made up for this in flavour and quantity but lacked a fair amount of tomato sauce, which was overheated and scorched around the edge of the dish.
Our mains were Calzone Carne and Pollo Siciliana, these were very well cooked and a joy to eat, unfortunately due to the smaller meat balls being used on our visit the Calzone looked a little flatter than usual, but none the less very tastey. The Pollo Siciliana was lovely and well flavoured but lacked in its content of chicken.
Our Desserts of Ultimate Framenti were the real disappointment here.
We both decided to have our own separate single portions, which were lacking in both fruit (One strawberry cut in half) and Brownie pieces. On top of which the dishes were poorly presented.
I must stress our waiter Mark was brilliant all evening and made up for the poor presentation standards at this particular restaurant.
We will come back again and hopefully give the presentation a higher rating.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Haven't been here for years because it was not good a few years ago. BUT what a great improvement! The new design is lovely. Its bright and cheery and clean. Very open plan which is nice as you dont feel so squashed in your table. There were plenty of staff on and they seemed happy enough.
We had booked our table as it was my daughters birthday meal. Got escorted to my seat by a young lady, we were seated in a booth for 5 of us. Plenty of room for us all. Our waiter was Mark. He was a very happy chap! We heard him and saw him all night, he was attentive and friendly to all his tables. Checked up on everyone and made sure all his tables were ok. My husband wanted a slightly spicy dish and Mark made a recommendation which hubby loved. Mark also recommended desserts which were all spot on.I cannot fault Mark for his service. Waiting is not an easy job that people think it is and to be that cheerful and helpful to all his tables is a credit.
We had the Agnello which was pasta twists and lamb ragu. My dish did not have enough sauce on compared to the other dish, but it was still very nice and i would order again. Lots of meat and the pasta was not over cooked. Also had Polpette America. That is a huge dish of food!! Again pasta cooked perfectly and lots of sauce and meatballs.
All our dishes were well cooked and we were informed if they weren't then just say.
I will definitely go back again. I went to another restaurant recently on riverside and the service was sooo slow it put me off going there again but thanks to Mark I have no reservations about returning.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Me and my partner really enjoyed both our food and service. My Marco Polo was delicious. We were served by a young girl with long blonde hair who recommended that we should have the chocolate brownie to share for our desert which we loved. Thank you we will definitely return.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Visitors here twice recently. First time service was painfully slow but food ok. Second time went with my family as had a breakfast deal. Restaurant was freezing. Only two people serving. Service was ridiculously slow and incomplete (no milk or teaspoon with tea. When food arrived it was cold. 'Toast' had been briefly shown the grill and was no more than warm bread. We did inform staff but just got a half hearted apology. When Bill arrived, once all the overpriced drinks went on it wasn't worth having a discount voucher. Won't be visiting again.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

I visited Bella italia with a group who were then heading out to see a band at the waterfront. Our initial server was fantastic, really helpful and friendly but when the manager came over it was a completely different story. Rude and abrupt - I was absolutely mortifying in the way he spoke to my mother when she queried the menu! Duringbour visit it was audible how unpleasant he wa towards his staff and other customers - unfortunately despite the food being of a good standard I will not be returning.