1,437 results
All reviews wine press oldest hotel cathedral suite norwich cathedral lovely old hotel car park afternoon tea elm hill central location free parking executive room scones buffet style single room visiting norwich within easy walking distance breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 18 June 2018

Not sure about refurbishment. It was obvious when we left the main area that there was old carpet and so it continued in the same way. Our room was OK but clearly in need of modernisation and updating. We were on third floor with view over street which was nice, so room was light and bright.

2  Thank Nevines
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Nevines,
We have undertaken an extensive refurbishment program through the whole hotel over the last 5 years, though this is a time consuming process in a building as old as the Maids Head hotel. We hope to have the few remaining bedrooms, and afterwards the public areas, complete by the end of the year. If you contact us directly - 01603 209955 - we can allocate you a refurbished room for your next stay.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Well the location is great. Right next to the cathedral and near the old town shopping streets. This is a typical older hotel very well kept. The rooms were adequate and the bed quite comfortable. . The dining is fine, if not extensive. Good croissants at breakfast! The parking is good behind the hotel. There is a lift for heavy suitcases. So why won't I stay there? If you need air conditioning, they don't have it. Granted Norwich doesn't get that hot, but it would be very uncomfortable if it did as the windows open 2 inches at the top. The worst item though is the bathtub. They have no handle to hold onto getting into the tub and the half glass door moves so you can't hold that. In addition, there is no non-stick tape on the bottom of the tub but they have those old fashioned suction tub mats that don't really stick. So for the first time in 35 years of traveling I fell, and fell hard. Then my friend fell in their tub. I told the staff to put sticky tape on the bottom, because after all, it probably costs a whole 5 dollars to do so, and they did not that day. I slipped again! Now don't think I am a clutz, I am not. I am a million miler on American and United and have hundreds of thousands of hotel points. This is the first time this has happened to me. I have huge and painful contusions on my leg. And the worst part is that the staff just kind of stares at you with a blank look when you tell them what happened. They did not even automatically call the manager who should have talked to me right away. So sorry Maids Head, you are charming in a few ways, location is great, but this is a dangerous place to stay!!!

Room tip: Ask for a room with a shower, not a tub
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank MerryMar2015

Dear MerryMar2015,
I am pleased that the vast majority of your stay at the Maids Head was good. The room in which you stayed has been in use for over 120 nights this year without issue and has passed our regular inspections and a health and safety audit. You comment on the way in which staff dealt with your repeated accidents and I have spoken to those involved. It seems they were at a loss for words given the torrent of abuse with which they were faced with. Perhaps you would illicit a more active response if you were more courteous to those who serve you.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

This long established hotel in the centre of Norwich is ideally situated to visit the sites of this lovely city.
Staff were delightful with their thoughtful friendly manner. They really did look after us in a lovely way.
Beer was a bit pricey but we were there to celebrate a family 90th Birthday and the food provided and service given was brilliant.
We had a super time and I would well recommend this hotel and will certainly use again if the opportunity arises.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Dear RODDERSANDMODGE,
Great to read that you enjoyed the 90th birthday that you attended, I shall pass on your kind words to the team.
Regards

Reviewed 12 June 2018

This hotel is a very old but modernised establishment that offers bar and restaurant facilities. Handy to the centre of Norwich and 10 minutes walk from train. Room was clean and quiet with modern facilities. Our only problem is that we couls only spend one night there.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CEO522

Dear CEO522,
I am very pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and sorry that you had to leave so soon. Perhaps you will get chance to return to Norwich one day.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a month ago and liked it, so decided to stay again this week on another trip to Norwich. Unfortunately it was a very unpleasant stay, and we will certainly not be returning. We had a double room placed next to the kitchen fan, which was very noisy. In addition it was exceptionally warm in that part of the hotel, but due to the noise we were unable to open the window. Suffice to say we had a terrible nights sleep! To be fair to the hotel, they offered us another room - but with a smaller bed (and we only had a double as it was!) We were also supposed to receive a complementary bottle of wine, which never turned up. Such a disappointment given that we’d had a nice experience the first time around.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Natalie P
Christine M, Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear Natalie P,
I am very sorry that you had a poor nights’ sleep when you stayed with us. It seems a touch unfair that you feel we deserve such a low rating, especially considering you stayed with us previously and felt we were good enough to return. As you mention the team did try to solve the problem by offering another room but unfortunately the hotel was almost full, so only a smaller room was available. I understand you were also offered an extra fan for your room.
I am sad that one of our guests has left feeling so negative about the Hotel and I am sorry we could not have done more at the time to make your stay more pleasant. I would like the opportunity to make amends. Please contact me directly at your convenience – operations@maidsheadhotel.co.uk