“Excellent evening”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Ate here on Saturday evening at the end of March while away for a weekend with my wife and had a most superb evening.
From the first pleasant greeting as we arrived to the very end of our meal, the service was excellent.
The menu is well balanced, with something to suit all tastes and the wine list the same.
The food is cooked and presented to a very high standard and we were both very impressed.
The best part for us both though was the atmosphere and decor, being that lovely blend of relaxed, but slightly traditional, with crisp white table cloths, food served on plates, (not slabs of slate or some other nonsense)., A chef willing to politely meet you after your meal and it was a real pleasure to receive a hand written bill and the end of the evening, rather than something printed from a till.
Yes, I know, this makes me sound (and I feel) rather old as I write this, but sometimes one gets sick of paying good money, for overpriced, ponsey food, served on a chunk of wooden board or a chipped enamel bowl, as if this brings something to the dish, set in some industrial or themed setting with casual, indifferent staff, when what you really want and are quite happy to pay for, is excellent food, in a comfortable setting, with friendly and knowledgable staff - which is what I can I assure you, you will receive at this restaurant.
Highly recommend.

2  Thank Tarhunzas100

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Visited on Easter Sunday for lunch. When we arrived we were welcomed into the foyer area to peruse the menu and take drinks - It felt very quirky and exclusive and we were made to feel very welcome. We made small talk with a local couple that were obviously regulars while (Carole I think her name was) dealt with their other clients and also made sure we were looked after. We ordered and were seated in time for our starter. I had a classic prawn cocktail, roast beef and sticky toffee pudding for afters. It was all lovely. You might not call it a modern menu but it was fantastic. The house red was very nice too. It was a set menu on the Sunday and was excellent value for a restaurant in The Broads over easter weekend. If you come by boat there is free mooring on the parish staithe if you can get a place. It was full when we arrived but you can moor in Richardson's boat yard which is a 10 min walk away.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 1 April 2018

This place obviously tries hard to give an upmarket impression and the ambience, food and service certainly don't let it down. All three are spot on.

The prices are also about right for the type of place it is, with one exception. We had the mackerel pate and prawn cocktail to start and the duck and sea bass as mains. It was all really nice but the prawn cocktail, at around £8, was a bit cheeky to be honest! The menu suggested it was a bit "special", but it was just a bog standard prawn cocktail. £5 max. Just my opinion, of course!

2  Thank CarlosTheGuru
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Belated Mother's Day lunch, We have eaten at this restaurant 2 or 3 times before and it's alway excellent food and service such a warm welcome Thank you!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank 444Roise
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We received a warm welcome when arriving, the atmosphere was great.
The food was just simply delicious home cooked from scratch !
I did want to get a 3 course dinner but ended up being really full at the end of the main as the portion are big.
The chef even came out at the end to check with every table if they were happy. (Really appreciated that)
Will definitely be coming again to this restaurant next time in the area have tried 4 other restaurants and this one is by far the best.

1  Thank Hill C