“Not the best by a long chalk”

and 1 more site!
Marlborough Guest House
Ranked #10 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
London
“Not the best by a long chalk”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Reading the other reviews, I can't believe that I stayed in the same place. Granted, the staff were friendly (the owner's son I think), but the room I stayed in was grubby, with a lack of furniture (one whicker chair) and a pokey shower room. No toiletries were provided, and the bed was sagging and had seen better days. Hotel was also very noisey, with people coming and going at all hours. Also, there were a couple of, what appeared to be, prostitutes hanging around on the corner of the road. This is obviously NOTHING to do with the hotel, but just be wary of staying in this area if you are thinking of going with a family.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Joester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2010

We stayed 2 nights here. The B&B actually occupies 2 buildings, the one shown on the photo on the website, and the one next door, which is signed as the Norfolk House hotel. The dining room stretches between the two sets of stairs.

We were told they have recently become listed on booking.com, and as a result, have begun accepting cards (not sure which type, I paid cash). When I looked at booking.com, they did not have availability for a double room for the nights we needed. But when I phoned them, they had availability. I suspect it was because they were willing to rent a triple room as a double at short notice (which was the situation). A person can make this decision, but the computer could not.

The room was spacious as it included an extra bed. There was an electric shower in the bathroom, and tea/coffee facilities. It was clean, but not a high end B&B, in terms of decor. There is an old tube TV, with over-air channels; again, not high-end, but perfectly satisfactory. The price reflects this. There is wi-fi, which worked in the room. We had a bit of trouble getting on. But, after a while, it worked fine.

The cooked breakfast is good, using quality ingredients. The location is handy for the railway station, and the town centre is not much further. A friendly, good place to stay, if you accept that the surroundings are not fancy, but satisfactory, and it is priced accordingly. The soundproffing between rooms is not great, but it was not a problem for us - and it included one weekend night.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donard
Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I am a Norwich City fans from Hong Kong since 1992, I start to travel to Norwich since 2002, and every time i just stay in Marlborough House Hotel. 5 minutes walk to Carrow Road, the home of Norwich City, and only 3 minutes walk to the railway station!

More importantly is the owner Eddy, and his son Robert are super nice man, and while I stay in Marlborough House Hotel, I just feel liked I am staying at my home in Hong Kong! I was even invited being the guest of Robert's birthday party, and get a few drinks and food, which is very very nice from Robert. The TV lounge, with 3 big sofa will make you extremely comfortable to watch football game.

The breakfast is brilliant too with top quality eggs, bacon and sausages, especially the sausages are top class. Unlimited toast and tea to provide and honestly, I don't need to have lunch after I take the breakfast, because I am too full! Also it is easy to get KFC or pizza near the hotel, just about 10 minutes walk. Morrisons is also 10 minutes walk too.

I won't be in Norwich this year but surely in the future, I must stay in Marlborough House Hotel -- the best hotel in Norfolk!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank XXL16
Surbiton
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We have stayed at the Marlborough House many times over the years. The staff have always been very courteous and helpful, and the variety of accommodations has suited small and large group visits. We arrived late, found Sandy at the desk expecting us and ready with rooms to suit our specific family needs.

The rooms were clean and tidy and the bed was like a fluffy cloud. We all sleep very well. We had a full english breakfast with all the trimmings.

We had no plans on where to go in Norfolk and got a full tourist guide by Robert who told us where to go and what to do.

We also felt the owners Eddy and Maria made us feel part of the family. Would recommend to anyone who is visiting Norwich and would like to stay in a hotel which has a real friendly family feel to it.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Stayed here a coupple of nights in December 08. Its located about a kilometer from the rail station, so its in walking distance to the essentials in Norwich.

Its an old building, so the interior and rooms are old, but not dirty. Which is the most important.

'If you just need a place to sleep in Norwich, this is an okey alternative, not to expensive either.

Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends