“Foodie's delight”
Review of Salut!

Salut!
Ranked #1,379 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Reviewed 21 September 2017

I've been meaning to come to Salut! for a while due to good reviews I have seen popping up online for some time, and I wasn’t disappointed. Failing to be pretentious, the restaurant has a warm, rustic and intimate vibe, which I much prefer over some of these massive clinical operations. I’m always a fan of an open kitchen (or one where you can watch the chefs work their magic before you hoover up all their hard work…) It was entertaining to watch Fabian (the head chef) at work and his passion for food truly shines through in the dishes we ate.

The service was on point by serving us efficiently but not being too claustrophobic. The food itself was delicate and meticulously presented, thereby aiming for a Michelin experience. Simple but delicious fusions of flavours. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the very reasonable bill at the end of it all.

All in all: good food, good wine and good friends Salut!

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Food was excellent, almost Michelin quality, the service was impeccable , friendly , attentive and informative. Lovely ambience and very intriguing with the kitchen area completely open so you can watch the food being prepared, which may not be new or unique, but in this instance works extremely well, given the smallish size and number of tables. We will definitely visit again!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

This was my 5th visit to Salut, if you look back to last year I loved this place and I had written two 5 star reviews on tripadvisor. So I'm not a sour puss at all. The first few visits everything was great however something has definitely changed.

There were 4 of us and one joined for desert ( lucky for her ).
The service was slow as our table was for 9.15, ythey were really slow to take our order. This meant we drank more wine as it also took long for food to arrive between courses. The menu looked fantastic and I had been excited to bring our friend who was visiting from abroad, which I have done with many friends having raved about it , so I felt so let down on this visit.

The food is self was tasty. I had a veloute to start which was lovely. It was then when the main came that my heart sank , 3 tiny cubes of the confit sea trout- I will attach a picture for you to see. We had all ordered the sea trout as the waitress had highly recommended it. She also failed to point out that this dish was so small so you should each order a side. I had particularly asked her if we would need sides and she replied ' maybe a couple between all of you'. More like a couple each!!
We were all disappointed at the size of the dish especially at the price of £22 for this main.
My friend caught the attention of the waitress to tell her that the portion was quite small. The chef came over to her personally to tell her that the ' sea trout was very expensive and that was why it was small' . My friend explained that the picture on Instagram had more food and portions on the plate. To which his reply was ' that was the tasting menu'.
The three small squares, albeit tasty, disappeared quickly and we were still very hungry. I noticed the chef was walking around asking everyone how they enjoyed the food. He then came to our table to ask this time to my husband and I. I told him I would rather be charged more maybe even £30 for decent sized main dish and that dish was more the size of a starter or a tasting menu dish . I told him I was still hungry. To which he replied ' thank you for your feedback '.
Totally horrified at this response. I would have ordered another main to myself because I was just plain hungry but why should I pay another £22 which is just not on. We ordered desert to try and satisfy ourselves but I honestly cannot remember the last time I left a restaurant hungry. I went home to make peanut butter on toast before bed.
Is it value for money? No. Do they care about your feedback - certainly not. Do they value returning local customers - clearly not. Do they think it's ok that their customers leave hungry and dissatisfied - evidently yes. ( by the way I'm not the size of a hippo , I'm a slim size 8 lady!).
I will say this however , go to Perilla , this restaurant is nearby , much better service , portions and value for money.

1  Thank Mia G
Martin L, Owner at Salut!, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Hi Mia, I'm really sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your meal as much as you have previously. We value our guests and always listen to feedback.

The chef had a meeting with the team in the same night and we have already taken the necessary steps to ensure the waitresses offer the right amount of sides and also adjusted the portion sizes.

Especially in busy nights we might take a little longer to prepare your food due to the size of our kitchen and complexity of most dishes, I hope you can forgive us for that.

I appreciate you taking time to write us - We are always improving and hope to be better each time.

Kind regards

Martin

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

We have been to Salut several times now, both in a larger group of friends and family for weekend brunch, and for dinner a deux. Every time the food has been stunning. Martin and his team coax the best out of locally sourced ingredients and are very passionate about what makes it onto the menu. They picked their own blackberries in the Lea valley and source a very tasty sourdough loaf from Walthamstow. Said bread and truffled butter make for an amazing starter. The wine list is great. Food is prepared with great care and flavours are combined in surprising and delightful ways. Little details like the pretty ceramic crockery and tiny pots of succulents on the tables combine with very attentive but never overbearing service to make it a great place to enjoy a leisurely meal. Martin, the owner, is involved in every last detail from the play list to making sure water glasses are topped up. I would thoroughly recommend you give Salut a try. Prices are a little higher than other neighbourhood restaurants but great value for the quality on offer- a sophisticated little gem of a restaurant. ❤❤❤

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I visited this restaurant with 3 friends & it was certainly a dining experience to remember!

Everything from the ambience to the food, wine list & staff were faultless. The open kitchen enabled you to see the true passion that the chef's had for their dishes and everything that landed on our table was presented beautifully. The little touches were what made this experience so special from the warm bread and truffle butter at the beginning of the meal to the recommendations and friendly conversations from the waiting staff.

I'd highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion. It isn't cheap but it's a meal that you won't forget.