“Great food”

Cuisines: French, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: For a little oasis of calm in the bustle that is Covent Garden, look no further than the our Wellington St restaurant.. cosy and with a lovely little Parisian feel, we've got a fantastic new food and wine menu perfect for a quick bite to eat or a leisurely dinner before a show. There's something to suit everyone and you'll come for lunch and want to stay right through to dinner! We're located just a few minutes away from Covent Garden and The Strand. The ideal location for a pre-theatre meal, a break from shopping or a leisurely coffee and a spot of people watching.
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

This is a great restaurant. The food was really nice. The staff were helpful and friendly. Would recommend to others.

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

Took my friend and our two girls in there for a meal, we felt rushed to order but asked the waiter to give us more time. After our starter we accidentally broke a glass,, the waiter quicker attended with a dustpan and brush but left the large piece of glass with splinters on the table and no one bothered to return and ask if we'd like another drink. The adult mains then came out but the girls' mains had apparently been thrown away and then had to be re made. No attempt was made to rectify the situation and the food was ok but nothing I'd want to rush back for. All in all a disappointment

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a late lunch at Cafe rouge around 3pm so it was a quiet time.
I ordered the beetroot and squash salad. The salad arrived with 3 small pieces of beetroot and 3 small pieces of squash on top of some leaves with a few lentil. To advertiser this as a beetroot and squash salad is appalling and at the cost of £11.95 a disgusting rip off. To add insult to injury I asked for no dressing and it came drenched in olive oil.
After eating, although the restaurant was more or less empty we had to move our plates on to an adjacent table as none of the staff who were stood around could be bothered to clear the table. Certainly won’t be going back.

Reviewed 7 February 2018

Occupies a prime location with a reasonable brand - I had a burger which was so dry to be virtually inedible. I was with a family group otherwise I would have sent it back. I get the feeling they are so continually busy that they really do not care

Reviewed 6 February 2018

I first visited a Cafe Rouge in the 1990s soon after they opened in the UK. There have been the odd 12 months when I have not eaten at one but generally we return to a Cafe Rouge at least every year over 25 years and do so because they deliver what it says on the tin! Essentially they offer the nearest thing to a French brasserie in most towns in the UK. Venues all have their trademark maroon wicker chairs and Gallic atmosphere, so one always feels at home. Staff are rarely English so whatever the accent one can persuade oneself they are French which adds to the ambience.
No this is not high end dining and I strongly suspect that many dishes are "food in a bag" My wife hates me telling her as she prefers to think there is a chef in the kitchen chopping fish and adding mussels to my bouillabaisse! The fact that dishes like this are tasty, served hot and full of fish and shellfish is what impresses me. As long as the baguette and fries are fresh, which they are, who cares if my meal was prepared in bulk at some centrally located kitchen. I strongly suspect that most similar chains do this and why not if it provides us with quality delicious food.
On this occasion we were off to the theatre so visited early around 6pm. The restaurant was understandably heaving but we found a quiet romantic table in the side room. Within minutes we had a bottle of wine and olives on the table. If only all restaurateurs would realise the importance of that quick attention and drinks and nibbles on the table. If it takes another 30 minutes to get food, we are happy and content to wait but when one is abandoned and neglected for 15 mins after sitting , it takes a lot to retrieve the situation.
Staff were as usual attentive , foreign and fun and the bouillibaisse as good as ever.
Regardless of it's origins, it arrived smelling delicious and steaming unlike the soup served the day before at a restaurant in the Shard costing 3 times the price!
With time on our hands I had a tarte tatin and coffee. Again clearly not made on site but as good as any at most little cafes in France.
My only criticism is one that is common even in high end establishments, bringing coffee before the desert. Usually I say but forgot. Ideally I think it should be obvious but maybe that's me.
Well done Cafe Rouge, still consistent after 28 years.