“Amazing food n excellent service”
Review of Dishoom Carnaby

Dishoom Carnaby
Ranked #381 of 25,561 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 19 - USD 38
Neighbourhood: Soho
Description: The original Bombay cafes have almost all disappeared. Their faded elegance welcomed all: rich businessmen, sweaty taxi-wallas and courting couples. Fans turned slowly. Bentwood chairs were reflected in stained mirrors, next to sepia family portraits. Students had breakfast. Families dined. Lawyers read briefs. Writers found their characters. Opened early last century by Zoroastrian immigrants from Iran, there were almost four hundred cafes at their peak in the 1960s. Now, fewer than thirty remain. Their loss is much mourned by Bombayites.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We had been to this restaurant today at odd time i.e., at 3:30 pm as we were informed that this is a non peak hours n getting a table for big group will be hassle free & very easy.
The hostess was very disciplined n she guided us to a comfortable table with in no time.
The restaurant was around 75% packed with guests. Our order was taken within no time , by asking our preferences.
The service was also quite good for the overall order that was placed by our group.
Though the options of vegetarian food was limited but still one has a reasonable choice ,considering the starters like PavBhaji , Bhelpuri ,Paneer Tikka etc. The main course was promptly served. The food served was quiet hot n to our liking. The desert were also good . Overall we all had very good time .

Write a ReviewReviews (1,898)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I have tried a few times to eat in Dishoom having heard so many good reviews and also first hand feedback from my wife and daughters. Every time I’d been by there was a long queue outside.

It’s good no doubt about it, service, flavours, options for gluten free including Daura Damm ( if you need it you know it ).

Well presented good atmosphere ( buzzing ) cool bar, etc etc etc.. A solid four stars

But still, would I stand 30minutes in the rain for it? No Way! Not on your Nellie.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Visited here with my wife and 2 girls for my daughter's 8th birthday. The food was incredible and the service second to none. There was a wait to get a table as there often is with the best places but the staff were accommodating and really looked after us. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I had been given two separate recommendations for dishoom when travelling to London for the weekend.

I tried to make a booking online but they only allow lunch bookings, or bookings for parties of six and above.

We were going to see a show just by the Covent Garden restaurant so we headed up in what we thought was lots of time to get fed before the theatre. The queue, we were told, was approximately 90 minutes long.

We ate elsewhere that night but of course we were now intrigued as to why this place was so popular so the following day we headed to the carnaby branch to change our arm at a table and we were seated within 15 minutes.

Everything about this place was just spot on. The service, the cocktails, the atmosphere. But above all, the food. Absolutely out of this world. We had some small plates to start with before ordering our main when we had let our tummies settle. There was no rushing us, no attempts to upsell everything on the menu.

You need to order the dahl! It is to die for.

Just the best Indian food I've ever eaten. Cannot wait to return.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Taken to this restaurant by a friend who is a regular visitor, I was not disappointed. The regular visitor's knowledge was helpful but so too were the staff who explained and advised.
A lover of Indian food, I can thoroughly recommend the food, ambience and general surroundings of this restaurant
The food was excellent and partly due to the concise menu, it was easy to select dishes that I suspected would be my favourite. Probably the best Indian food I have eaten outside of India.
The highlight of the visit may have been being able to see the open kitchen and the food being prepared as we ventured downstairs from where we ate. Impressive and reassuring.
Definitely worth a visit. I will certainly be returning with family who love Indian food.