“A vegetarian in a burger joint writes...”
Review of Five Guys

Five Guys
Ranked #3,228 of 24,832 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Neighbourhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Heard lots about the food, in particular the fries, so ventured in expecting there to be nothing on offer for poor souls like me who don't eat meat. But wait....... there was a 'veggie sandwich' so let's stay!

The fries were absolutely fantastic and as good as everyone says. Very, very good.

The veggie sandwich was, on the other hand, an utter abomination. Soggy bun, flaccid lettuce, indeterminate vegetables and a slice of artificial cheese - easily the worst thing I've eaten for years. In fact, after a few mouthfuls, I put it to one side. Maybe it's a clever tactic to turn vegetarians back to meat? I can't think of any other reason to sell something so terrible.

So, five stars for the fries and zero for the atrocious veggie thing, which evens out at three stars. More than generous.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

One on my nieces was craving for strawberry and orreo milkshakes and we stopped by...well...totally worth it. The place was not inviting since the music was extremely load and tables dirty, but the milkshakes were very good...

Reviewed 3 April 2018

The burger is amazing and the fries are out of this world. If you are expecting a "fast food" style you will be surprised. The quality is very good. When you go, please, do not skip the fries!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

For what is in effect a takeaway joint , even with what is undoubtedly a good burger, the price is too high. Nearly £30 for 2 meals .. you could have a proper sit down one with waitress service for that elsewhere.

Would go back as a treat with the children but certainly wouldn’t be a regular trip out.

One thing to note is that the menu is a bit different - burger accompaniments are free (lettuce etc) but you have to order them. Don’t get panicked like I did and not have any as was concerned about how much would add on to bill!

This particular restaurant of five guys was chosen as it’s slightly off the beaten track so hoped it would be a bit quieter on a Saturday - was absolutely correct in that which was great.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

This place I came to with two young children, we were going to the nearby McDonalds and thought to give this place a try.

Not having been to one of these outlets before I asked one of the staff I later found whose limited role was limited to cleaning up if I had to go to the counter to get served. She did not want to engage in any way and the mumbled communication from her suggested to me that I need to go to the counter.

At the counter service was quick and friendly, unlike what I had just experienced. A downside was that I had to collect the food from another counter and that my receipt number would be called out across a busy restaurant. For the prices here I would have happier to have gone to an Ed's Diner to have table service, even some branches of McDonalds do this now.

I picked a table where I could see the counter from and still have a line of sight to the children when I collected my order (important security point).

The wait for food was not that long and my number was repeatedly called out while I made my way across to collect the food.

The burgers and hot dog were all good and the chips had a certain taste to them but were good as well.

The two girls cleaning up in the restaurant looked totally miserable and did not engage with any customers, a complete contrast to cleaning staff at the nearby McDonalds when I got the children an ice cream afterwards.

My view is that if you are working in close proximity to customers whether it is your job role to be more dynamic or not, if you are that unhappy in the job, get another job!

This place could be better, the service model is really bad and steers me well away from going back, with or without children.

1  Thank LoughtonEppingForest