All reviewspaddington stationtalbot squarehyde parkheathrow expressquiet squarenewly renovated hotelground floor roomheated floorssussex gardensstandard roomcomfortable bedking sizesmall fridgevery comfortable staybreakfast is servedrooms are smallfront desk staff
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Travelling alone for once on this visit to London I found this a perfect place to stay. The hotel is within a few minutes walk out of Paddington Station which has a direct train link by Heathrow Express to the airport or the Tube. It is just a few minutes walk to Hyde Park. The hotel is in a quiet cul-de-sac so there is little traffic noise and is opposite a small restful park. The hotel room was small but in faultless condition. The staff were welcoming and pleasant to deal with. The cafe on the ground floor (London St Brasserie) was good for breakfast. I will be using this hotel again on any future trips with my husband or alone as it was such a good base when visiting London.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Y1714ATanneh
GuestRelations L, General Manager at Mercure London Hyde Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Dear Y1714ATanneh,

Thank you for your 5 star review.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the facilities of the hotel. Glad you also enjoyed the small park just opposite the hotel and indeed the hotel location is perfect for travelling to or from Heathrow Airport.

We always strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and your feedback will serve as an encouragement to the team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Janine H. Weiss

Reviewed 2 August 2018

This hotel more than exceeded my wife and my expectations, the rooms, the bar, the food all brilliant. All members of the staff gave excellent service, so friendly it was like spending a weekend with friends.We are very much looking forward to our next visit to this hotel. Location is good for Oxford street shopping and Covent Garden/West End Theaters etc.via Bakerloo tube line

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank djuk99
GuestRelations L, General Manager at Mercure London Hyde Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Dear djuk99,

Thank you for the great review.

I am glad that the team and product exceeded your expectations and delighted that you will consider us for your next stay. We always strive to deliver a superior level of service and it’s nice to know when we have managed to exceed our guest’s expectations. Indeed, the hotels location is convenient for West End and Oxford Street with its many tube and bus links.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Janine H. Weiss

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I've reviewed this hotel previously where I gave it 4/5 and I've stayed here a couple of times since and it's been fine for me for short business stays near Paddington.

However, when I arrived the other night to check in for my most recent stay I found that the hotel had my booking but they had filled their rooms and so did not have a room for me.

The receptionist was very friendly and apologetic and suggested that their booking systems were complex and could crash causing this type of situation.

However, I've seen this quite a few times in London and I think it's fairly well accepted that some hotels overbook and gamble on some customers not showing up. I believe this is common enough to be known as "walking the guest".

Naturally, I can't say why the Mercure didn't have my room but it was clear to me that it happens frequently as I was very quickly offered a 'better' room in the hotel next door (the Indigo) where the receptionists seemed very familiar with accepting Mercure guests.

The room that I ended up in was 'ok' but pretty small and nothing I'd write home about and it proved to be quite noisy overnight. This was noise from the room itself - every 30 minutes or so there was a strange cracking noise which I think was the ceiling expanding/contracting - no problem when you're awake but it turned out to be just loud enough to wake you through the night so it wasn't a great night's sleep.

So, for this review I'm only giving this Mercure (2/5) based on the hotel's failure to honour my booking and actually have a room for me. I honoured my part of the contract & paid for the room but they didn't honour theirs by having the room available in the hotel that I booked.

It didn't turn out to be 'the end of the world' but I found it disappointing and I thought I'd write this second review to flag to people that if you book this Mercure then you might not end up in that hotel but, instead, the Indigo next door so it's perhaps worth checking the reviews for both hotels before you book.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike T
GuestRelations L, Manager at Mercure London Hyde Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I am delighted to hear you chose to stay with us on multiple occasions. I sincerely apologies for the experience received on the most recent occasion.

I am pleased to hear you found the receptionist friendly and apologetic, however I am extremely saddened to understand the hotel was overbooked on this occasion. We appreciate your disappointment and extremely sorry to hear you were inconvenienced on this occasion.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future, apologies once again for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 July 2018

We had a long, overnight flight into London and went straight to the hotel. The hotel told us to come back at 2 p.m., check-in time. When we returned at 2:05, they held us for about 90 minutes before allowing us to access the room. They were completely inattentive and wouldn't give us even an estimate as to when the room would be available. In fact they were quite rude. The hotel never offered to make things right, and the manager never contacted us to explain the horrible service. It was a thoroughly disappointing experience and the worst service I've ever received at a hotel anywhere. Even today they've not contacted me, they've not refunded or discounted my room, and it's been over a week since we left the hotel.

As for the accommodations: the room was small, even by European standards. However the breakfast was pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Regional_Travel
GuestRelations L, Manager at Mercure London Hyde Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Thank you for taking your precious time to review your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to hear your room was unavailable at the point of check-in, we strive to ensure our rooms are always available for guests to check-in as early as possible. I am truly sorry this was not the case on this occasion.

I am interested to read your comments on the rude service received, I am extremely disappointed to hear this was the case on this occasion. We strive to ensure each and every guest feels welcome and comfortable at our hotel. I apologies profusely for this.

Your feedback on the breakfast is excellent, thank you.

Please do contact us directly in order to discuss your experience in further detail. We value guest feedback and would welcome the opportunity to discuss further.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

The standard rooms (605 & 103) were tiny, claustrophobic & looked out onto concrete walls. The website doesn’t tell you this. I complained to Reception, but was told an alternative room wouldn’t be available until 11 pm. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Classic rooms described as ‘compact’ on website. However it doesn’t say that standard rooms are also very small.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank rowan439

Thank you for taking your precious time to review your recent stay with us, I am extremely sorry to read your feedback.

Your comments on the bedroom size is well received, please do note we offer a range of bedroom types and categories to meet the needs of all our guests. As you suggest, I am delighted to hear you tried to move to an alternative bedroom. Unfortunately, as this is a very busy time in the city we were fully booked hence unable to offer an alternative bedroom on this occasion. My apologies on this occasion.