“Lovely local, creative cuisine. ”
Review of Marmelo Kitchen

Marmelo Kitchen
Ranked #4,398 of 25,042 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I have been to Marmelo four or five times since its opening. I like that such a lovely restaurant exists in my neighbourhood. A bit adventurous, with great talent and the heart in the right place. And while I have enjoyed dining there and will certainly go back, it has not quite been faultless.

The table sharing and blackboard menu concept works well for the space, service is by super friendly if at times a tad clueless staff. The fare is seasonal with a changing menu. And with the right mix of interesting veggie options amongst the meats, I have surprised myself going all vegetarian despite being a staunch carnivore.

The portions are what I’d call ‘large size tapas’, as easily shared as eaten solo. Two are amply enough to satisfy one’s hunger. It is not cheap, at around £10 - £14 a plate but well worth it. Interesting combinations of ingredients make for creatively flavourful dishes. I have enjoyed seared beef, grilled red mullet, divinely silky mash and mussels that were all superbly cooked. On the downside, I had to return a unimpressively undercooked pheasant (or maybe guinea fowl) on my second visit. It was eventually replaced but only after the waitress condescendingly explained that it was not meant to be served ‘overdone’, while I was merely pointing out that the poor bird was still raw and dead cold!. We were given the wrong wine, which we agreed to keep as it was opened so promptly we had not had the chance to check the label. Not disappointed but more expensive than we had originally chosen.

The wine list is extensive and varied but not necessarily great value.

Although I have yet to try it, I am told by reliable sources (husband and friends) that the Sunday roast is an absolute must (£15 and above).

All in all, Marmelo is a gem of a place in this part of London and it rightly deserves the recommendations it gets.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Tasty tasty food in a lovely, cosy, environment. The food is served in small dishes, and you order a few, which is perfect for the type of food served - it means you get to taste more! We loved it and can’t wait to go back

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Amazing friendly employees.
This place has never failed to deliver everytime I visit.
Tasty food
This time I had the Eggs chorizo
Awesome staff

Really filling never are again till dinner

Reviewed 12 October 2017

It was a tad out of the way but it was worth it! As meat-lovers, we were concerned that there wasn't much meat offering on the menu so we had to make do with what was there. It was magical! The fish dishes were amazingly prepared, presented and cooked. The vegetables were a delight fresh and very tasty. We left the place with full bellies and were very happy to have found another gem away from the usual fare in the High street. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I made a reservation for dinner on a Saturday evening for the 4 of us. The place is pretty small, with seating for around 22. This consists of 2x long tables which will accommodate 10 each. There is also a small table for 2, plus room for a couple to sit at the counter (overlooking the open kitchen). Bookings are recommended.
There was a printed wine list, and the food (which changes regularly) menu is written up on a blackboard on one of the walls, which includes local beers.
The evening/dinner food is "plate sharing", so the portions are smaller and you are encouraged to order enough to share between yourselves. We ordered 9 plates, which was more than enough!
All of the food was excellent and we had 2 bottles of wine.
The staff were all very friendly and quick, and the whole evening was a great experience.
Well done to this restaurant for the overall excellence and quality !