“Well Worth the Trouble of Booking”
Review of Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke
Ranked #115 of 25,573 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 15 - USD 45
Cuisines: Barbecue, International, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Wimbledon
Description: Holy smoke is a 24 seater modern international neighbourhood restaurant influenced by wine, whisky, wood smoke and a healthy contempt for convention. Please note that we only take reservations by email.
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Trying to get a booking for Holy Smoke is a bit of a faff, they concentrate on their customers when the restaurant is open so you have to email back and forth to find a date (they always answer emails very promptly). Of course the solution to this is to book well in advance; it is worth the wait. The restaurant is cosy, warm, and welcoming, the staff very friendly. Our wine was excellent and the food divine. I had to laugh when they brought my husband a glass of white wine (which we had not ordered) because they could not bear the thought of him drinking red with his scallops - they really care about the food and the experience. We're going back next month with friends and I cannot wait.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Great place to meet an American cousin for lunch. We enjoyed the exciting range of delicious range of dishes.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 4 February 2018

Had an excellent lunch here. I loved both the dishes I had and tried my companion's two, different, choices - delicious too. Very generous portion sizes, extremely reasonable prices, appealing presentation, no long waits for food to arrive - but it was quite quiet, to be fair - menu reassuringly-restricted, but with each dish sounding delicious and offering a little twist on the familiar. I was very impressed by how well the gluten-free diner was catered for. Being served by the establishment's owner meant that I was reassured of the accuracy of his confident assertions about what each dish contained.

The location was not super-central in one of the shopping streets of Wimbledon with which I was already familiar, but it is on a shopping parade on a main road and easy enough to reach. I wasn't particularly enamoured of the decor, but I was there for the food - and found it to be superb.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 31 January 2018

I love this restaurant in Wimbledon! I always feel welcome and the staff are very friendly and do go above and beyond for a great dining experience. The price for me matches a memorable evening of mouth watering food.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 23 January 2018

We decided to give this a go on the basis of a recommendation and trip advisor. It is asmall little restaurant with a slightly old fashioned feel and ambience. That is not a criticism but it reminded us of the late 60 bistros in Chelsea but without the waxed bottle with a candle on the table. Very nice welcome with a glass of smoked sherry on the tabke., Small menu but decent choice and wine list fine. Very friendly and very competent service. Starters Beets salad very good and I had excellent scallops. Main courses an excellent venison and I had the cod with a thai sauce. They were both very good. Followed by an excellent duck egg creme brulee. It was very pleasant and slightly quirky. Name 'Holy Smoke' because given a chance he will smoke anything not just the sherry. You need to text or email to get a booking but dont be put off they do respond quite quickly. Definitley will go back soon.

Date of visit: January 2018