“Wonderful new dining experience in Wimbledon”
Review of Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke
Ranked #28 of 24,109 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 17 - USD 50
Cuisines: Barbecue, International, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Wimbledon
Description: Holy smoke is a 24 seater modern international neighbourhood restaurant influenced by wine, whisky, wood smoke and a healthy contempt for convention. Please note that we only take reservations by email. Tripadvisor has recently labeled us as offering "Vegan options" - please not that this is only the case with several days notice - none of our menu is vegan.
Reviewed 21 September 2017

OK it's not new and has evidently been open for over 2 years but to me and my friends it was new! It was a breath of fresh air to get personal service in an independent restaurant that isn't part of a larger chain. Delicious, well-prepared food in a friendly ambience preceded by a lovely smokey sherry. Perfect!

Reviewed 21 September 2017

I would highly recommend this restaurant.
We were really pleased to get a table at only 24 hours notice as I know booking is essential. The restaurant was full BUT as they only do a small number of covers the service and food was excellent.
I was torn on what to have and the waiter even suggested he could mix up the menu a bit and I had a bespoke meal made for me.

It is a little pricey but for slightly more than what you would pay locally this is a much better meal.

I want everyone to visit. But I also hope I can get a table the next time I want to go.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Very quirky restaurant serving excellent food. Great quality and we both had a really good evening. We booked in advance as it's very popular. There aren't many tables and the other tables were all couples.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Had been trying to get a table there since we moved in to Wimbledon six months ago; finally did it and were anxious we’d be disappointed. Need not have worried.
Plus Side;
The menu was interesting, varied and well balanced, the eservice was prompt and courteous, the décor was eclectic and warm, and best of all, just a 5 minute stroll from our home.
The food was cooked to perfection, well plated, a good range of bottled wines and the tables were well spaced.
Can’t go without a mention for the whiskies: an excellent (if not exhaustive) selection. I savoured he well set out list and eventually plumped for the Japanese whisky straight from a barrel. Good decision and a snip at £6, served in a perfect glass (Mind you, if I ran the place, I’d be tempted to have some Cragganmore in stock.)
Minus side:
The only real complaint was the air conditioning. If you’re American, you’d be used to sitting in ice cold rooms in summer clothes; but for us gentle English folk, the sub-zero chill did rather take the glow off what would otherwise have been a perfect night out. we did ask for it to be toned down but it came back on again and we didn't bother as obviously the staff were hot as they were active; not so good if you're sitting still.
The only other thing is I would suggest that with the modern sucker stops which allow you to keep wines fresh for a couple of days, the choice of wines by the glass could have been a little more to the standard of the rest of the fare.

1  Thank tomlevin
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

A short walk for us to this quirky little restaurant with just six tables that from the outside doesn't look like a restaurant at all - more like a little house front. Through the front door, into the cozy softly-lit interior with dark richly-coloured walls, and one is immediately met by welcoming staff.

While you're looking at the short but interesting menu, there's a glass of complimentary smoked sherry to sip. The starters are quite small, but big enough in flavour to wake up the taste buds - the pigeon breast is delicious. The drunken beets could perhaps be a little drunker, but tasty nonetheless. Main courses are more hearty and just as big on flavour. Some very interesting wines and an impressive selection of whiskey, served with the respect that it deserves.

The homemade after dinner truffles are a must.

Perfect for a quiet romantic night out.

2  Thank havana92016