“Nice place ”

Price range: USD 13 - USD 19
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Description: The Paradiso story began with Olivelli's Hotel and restaurant which was founded in 1934 by Sicilian-born Rita and Enrico Olivelli. Situated in Store Street - heart of Bohemian London, it quickly became a culinary haven for students from nearby RADA and established actors and actresses at London theatres.Olivelli's name spread rapidly thanks to its warm, friendly atmosphere and authentic, value-for-money food. Such was its reputation that the Marx Brothers insisted on eating at the restaurant on their one and only visit to England. Among other famous diners were the legendary 'naughty girl' Mae West, Danny Kaye, Mickey Rooney, Bob Hope and Liberace.When Sicilian-born Giovanni and Salvatore Salamone bought Olivelli in 1993 - the first of their popular chain of Olivelli Paradiso outlets (now known simply as Olivelli) across London - they took care to preserve the restaurant's unique characteristics, recreating its welcoming atmosphere and using only the finest, freshest ingredients sourced from Italy and nearby markets.Hardly surprising then that contemporary celebrities such as Mel Brookes, Eric Clapton, Kevin Spacey, Graham Norton, Ben Elton, and Jack Dee continue to dine at Olivelli restaurants.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed near by the restaurant and had great dinner in this nice place. The service was a bit slow but it’s feat the atmosphere

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 2 April 2018

My family and I visited Olivelli in Bloomsbury during our short stay in London. It is conveniently located near the West End, so is close to the theatres and many more attractions London has to offer. But the good points, and the previous, was the only one, end here. This restaurant claims to have been around, since 1934, but you are warned, that it has nothing to do with the original Olivellis' family. Pictures of many celebrities from that era, are hanging on the wall, and they use it as a marketing tool of some sort, which perhaps works.
Now the menu is very interesting, and you will find some of the most famous pasta, meat and fish dishes, the italian cuisine has to offer, and the same can be said for the Pizzas. However the restaurant fails in every other fields. The pasta dishes we ordered were tasteless, the pasta was obviously been cooked well in advanced and it had a funny taste. Even the meat dish, which my wife ordered was tasteless and it arrived at the table lukewarm. Vegetables had seen better days, and they were served cold. The wine glasses on our tables were absolutely filthy, one of them smelt of wine and it seems, like it had been not washed at all. Those were removed promptly on my request, however the server could not care less, when I told him that they were filthy. I cannot really say much positive about this place, I would love to, but I cannot. The waiting staff although one was polite to us, they were running around like headless chicken, service was messy. Also in the restaurant there was a strange smell, in fact in smelled of sewage. Stay away, there are far better alternative near by, and are far far better then this poor restaurant.

3  Thank margibbs54
Reviewed 1 April 2018

I go occasionally- and have several favourite dishes- the service is always friendly and efficient without being rushed, but had a really excellent meal last night- the Taglionini Salmone was perfection - and normally I don't care for salmon! try it!!!

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We arrived and were seated at a lovely but wobbly table next to the window. The restaurant was surprisingly quiet for 730 on Saturday evening. The staff were very attentive we ordered a sharing platter for starter and the food was very nice. It was a surprise to have to ask for bread. We also had pasta. The food was delicious and the portion sizes were a good size. The dini ng area was nice light and airy. There was nothing to have a problem with but nothing to really overwhelm you. When the bill came at the end I was very surprised to see a 12.5 percent service charge which I thought was a bit cheeky and slightly off putting. It was a nice evening and a nice dinner but I wouldn't rush to go back again.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

I really liked it here. The food was nice, and the waiters were polite and careful to ensure guests were enjoying their meals. Cosy, intimate decor, relaxed and laid back. I would have thought the portions would be bigger, though. The prices aren't high compared to other similar restaurants, but a bit steep when considering the size of the portions.

Overall, a nice experience.