“Yikes!!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: Awarded a Michelin star - the second for Chef-Patron Atul Kochhar - Benares delivers acclaimed modern Indian cuisine as chic as its location in central Mayfair. The eclectic menu explores delicately flavoured dishes from all corners of the subcontinent, with sophisticated modern presentation from the food down to the elegant décor. The A la Carte menu is available with vegetarian and non vegetarian options, and the chicken and lamb at Benares is certified Halal. Guests can try dishes ranging from Kaandhari Macchi-Tandoori stone bass, with lemon rice, salsify, and pomegranate sauce, to the exquisite Lobster Two Ways -butter-poached lobster tail in Kerala-style raw mango curry, lobster claw Amritsari, and radish salad. Vegetarians are also well catered for, with Rajma Tikki - smoked kidney bean cakes, pureed Masala rice, raw red onions and coriander chutney. Finally, the dessert selection is simply irresistible. Whether diners choose the Bebinca, Coconut Passion Sorbet, Coconut Pepper Jelly, our delicious Hazelnut Torte, Praline and Sesame Chilli Snap or the Dark Chocolate Mousse, Anise Infused Sour Cherry with Yoghurt Ice Cream, it will be the perfect conclusion to a wonderful dining experience at Benares.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were excited to come here but...

Not crazy about the dining room decor-and the staff is impersonal. Efficient granted, but you never feel welcome. It’s more of an assembly line feel to the service.

To start, the cocktails are good. The appetizers sounded interesting and came in the usual small portions but were a bit on “sitting in the kitchen a bit too long” side. Not what a top restaurant should do.

We were blessed with a screaming child in front and some drunk pounding the table (also screaming)behind us, which seemed to escalate as we waited for our mains.

There were a few decently dressed tables, but some looked like just just came out of bus station. Very tacky on all fronts so far. Also the table presentation of the food is very lackluster (see pic).

Back to the main food, which was again tasty, but my chicken was lukewarm to medium, not what I expect at this level of price.

The noisy room and impersonal service got to us and we asked for the check. Didn’t bother with dessert, as at this point we were fed up.

I think this place is frankly overrated. I would suggest other places,that maybe are less rated in culinary reviews but have stellar service. I like an elegant dining room and well set table, personable service and food that comes straight from the kitchen...such as the Cinnamon Club, if you’re looking for upscale Indian food.

There are many lovely, well staffed, delicious restaurants in London, and this is not one of them.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,553)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Went here last week for lunch with my wife
its a beautiful restaurant area to eat and the menu although a little limited has plenty to temp you.
To be honest i can't fault the food,
Apart from the pink peppercorns in the goat curry (too many)
but the service is very very relaxed/slow.
Every drinks order took 10 mins or so to come and that's fine with the food (you want to give the chef time to cook it to perfection and plate up), but i'm sorry to wait 10 mins for a drink is not right.
water - they only have to grab a bottle from the bar and walk over
beer -
orange juice
these things should be delivered a minute or so after ordering at this level.
staff were very nice and there was plenty of them, all in all a nice meal would i go back
maybe for dinner to see if they are any better.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

From the moment we walked in to the moment we left this was a truly wonderful experience.

The cocktails are utterly delicious! The Spice Green Martini in particular was amazing! I could drink those all day everyday.

The food was flavoursome, authentic with a modern chic twist. Can't fault it.

The icing on the cake so to speak is the staff. Our waiter was friendly, knowledgable, interactive and funny. He was attentive and the sitting went like clockwork. Bravo to him and the rest of the staff. Other shout out has to go to the cocktail bar guys, who were just fabulous.

This meal was for my 50th birthday and it was just as special as I dreamt it could be. Can't recommend it enough. Would love to go again.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We came for our Wedding anniversary and from all the hype, I was expected to be blown away by this restaurant.

We couldn’t fault the food and the service was excellent, but were seated in the ‘semi private dining area’ which is an extension of the bar which can get noisy.

We took the tasting menu to sample the range of cuisine ,all the plates were excellent but we should have gone a la Carte as £98 for the tasting menu is simply too much for what is is compared to other starred restaurants.

Finished by sending the coffees back as were really bad,but restaurants , whatever the standard, can’t seem to get that right!

I’d recommend the street food menu in the bar or go to his sister restaurant Indian Essence in Kent for 1/3 of the price.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Visited last night to celebrate my husbands birthday. Wonderful service and absolutely superb food. We had the tasting menu and captivating wine flight. It was huge - definitely recommend going to the restaurant hungry. The food was delicious, really beautiful flavours and exciting dishes. I can’t praise it enough. Indian is my favourite cuisine and it was wonderful to eat it as Michelin star quality cuisine. The Somalier was really friendly and engaging and the choice of wines were great with the food. Service was excellent, professional yet really friendly and relaxed. The bar staff were very helpful and even made the cocktail I wanted to try less sweet for me. It was delicious. As a lovely gesture as we left we were given a signed cookbook to celebrate my husbands birthday. A really memorable evening and we will definitely be back as there were so amazing dishes on the main menu we’d love to try. My stand out dishes were the lamb and the salmon- both awesome.