“very mediocre place pretending to be posh”
Review of Spread Eagle - CLOSED

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Greenwich
Transit: Tube: Greenwich DLR: Cutty Sark
Description: With origins as a tavern and coaching inn from the early 1600s, The Spread Eagle had, by Victorian times, also gained a reputation as an excellent restaurant. Today it is still a landmark; setting the standard for fine food in Greenwich. This is West End dining away from the stress of the city.As you enter The Spread Eagle you are immediately enveloped by the classic surroundings. The walls are mounted with exquisite artwork featuring a range of distinguished artists and illustrators from the 17th century who were inspired by Greenwich.
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had been to Spread Eagle a few years earlier and the food and service had been of a very high standard. We decided to visit again, knowing that it had changed hands since our first visit. The interior is still impressive and as described on the website. Sadly the food and service is way short of that.

On arrival we ordered two drinks and some tap water. Despite the fact that the restaurant only had a couple of other tables filled we still hadn't received either fifteen minutes later. When we chased them the water arrived to be followed by the waitress saying she had forgotten what some of our order was (it was only two drinks!)
Service was sporadic and very slow throughout the meal.

We booked for sunday lunch but when my partner selected the roast beef billed as 'sirloin and yorkshire pudding' he were told they had run out of Yorkshire puddings. Disappointing on two levels: 1) that they didn't have enough of the staple menu ingredients 2) suggests they don't maker them but buy them in.

The menu offered Tagliatelle then goes on to describe a risotto dish - even on the website - check it out on the sunday menu!

The bread arrived at the table at the same time as the starter and rather than being accompanied by butter it was unpleasant yellow margarine (albeit with herbs added, presumably to make it look posh)

The goats cheese and caramelised onion tart starter was heavy on onion, low on cheese and with an overcooked brittle tart. The crab salad offered a measly portion for its 9.50 price tag

The main of Plaice and vegetables was good and worthy of the 14.50 price, whilst the chicken wrapped in pancetta at 13.50 was.,..

A disappointing end to a disappointing meal was an apple crumble clearly with tinned apples,packet crumble lacking taste and accompanied by a mediocre bright yellow ice cream.

This place is still trading on its previous good standards and is failing. Rather than "setting the standard for fine food in Greenwich" as its website suggests.
It is at best on a par with a very average restaurant chain but still charging a premium price. We certainly won't be going back

3  Thank Seanusmurphy

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I hate to leave a bad review but we had so many issues with this restaurant i feel i have to. I bought a Living Social voucher, granted, so i know we're not priority but none the less we were still customers!

Had massive issues trying to book in, our reservation for Wednesday got cancelled meaning I could no longer take my partner as he had booked the night off for the occasion. This was the start of things to come. Although they were apologetic on the phone and helped to re-arrange on a weekend, we had paid extra for the evening meal and this wasn't worthwhile as 2 courses on a sat is only £13.

The building is lovely, beautiful interior. The meal itself was ok but they were very heavy on selling extras e.g. wine to bulk up the bill. The starter of crayfish salad and prawns was great, but my main Sea Breem was not cooked so i had to send it back halfway through. So my friend ate hers alone, then I ate mine. Not great. As an apology for the raw fish and cancellation, the waiter offered free dessert but at the end tried to charge us and retracted the offer! All in all a bit of a mess.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I dined here on a Social-Living voucher deal. We had 2 courses plus a glass of Champagne.
We had the choice of six starters and six mains. We chose the Salad(my wife) and Scallops(me).
Both starters were delicious. We then had the main course. My wife chose Trout, and I chose the Lamb, again the food was excellent. My wife's trout came with Mash and Veg as one item, so no sides were required. My Lamb came without a side, so I ordered Mash at £3 extra.
We were given tap water and Bread and Butter on the table, and we weren't hassled to buy wine.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at The Spread Eagle. There was a 12.5% discretionary charge, but this was only £6 so it was acceptable.
I would DEFINITELY recommend the Spread Eagle, not only for the food, but also the wonderful paintings and other artwork around the walls.
It's just 3 minutes from the Cutty Sark Station on the DLR service.
I only rated the atmosphere as Average simply because there were only a couple of other people in the restaurant with us. If the place had been a bit more busier then the atmosphere would have been better.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We visited with friends on a Thursday evening and had a starter and main course each. The menu choice was limited but all the dishes we ordered were of a high standard and the portion sizes were fine. The food could have been hotter, as could the plates.
Service was polite and friendly although the male waiter could have been a bit more attentive and proactive.
Prices seemed high at around 30GBP per person for 2 courses including a12.5% service charge and 4 glasses of house wine.
Although there were only a few other diners, the restaurant had a comfortable, cosy feel to it. Decor is interesting with a huge array of pictures throughout.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is an Interesting old building near the entrance to Greenwich Park, with attractive dining rooms on two floors, the walls decorated with a mix of pictures and old signs with some excellent modern originals (including a John Bratby). We went for lunch, which was a fairly limited menu, but with some interesting dishes (for example lamb with endives and creme fraiche), nicely cooked and well presented. Staff were very personable and friendly, showing us around, and we were able to meet the chef. They say they do special interest evenings such as wine and food pairing and quizzes from time to time, and we intend to return.