“Well deserving of its Michelin star”
Review of Lyle's

Ranked #1,952 of 23,779 Restaurants in London
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shoreditch
Reviewed 25 October 2019 via mobile

Delicious food. Beautifully plated. Affordable. Minimalist setting. Unusual yet exciting menu. Friendly attentive service. What more could you want? It’s easy to understand why Lyle’s has been placed in the Best 50. This was easily the best meal we had in London. We especially loved the mussels in cider. We would definitely return in a heartbeat.

3  Thank mirryy
Write a reviewReviews (452)

Reviewed 24 October 2019 via mobile

Just loved Lyle’s. Food was excellent including the smoked Eel! And sourdough bread superb. Don’t go for decor just food

Reviewed 18 October 2019

We've eaten at a number of the top restaurants in London as well as other cities around the globe. Lyle's is up there with the best. While the experience is more minimalistic than some other high end restaurants, I believe it really allows the food and service to shine. The single (and very reasonably priced) tasting menu forces diners out of the comfort zones and all of a sudden you can't help yourself from devouring a dish of smoked eel you were pretty skeptical of. I also appreciate the restraint shown in the tasting menu - we've done the 15 course tastings before and while they are fantastic you find yourself ready to surrender long before the end of the meal. In addition to the food, the wine list was fantastic and very interesting. It was clear that care had been taken in the selection of each bottle and the staff, particularly James Beans, was happy to guide diners through the list to the perfect selection. Finally the service at the restaurant was amazing. It wasn't stuffy, white table cloth dining but instead personable service where our waitress, Steph, was happy to stop by and chat with us. She was a true gem at the restaurant!

2  Thank bpn02008
Reviewed 15 October 2019 via mobile

We had read a lot about this restaurant and its number 33 ranking in the worlds top 50 restaurants , well I can honestly say that there was nothing impressive about the evening we went in August , in fact I wouldn’t rank it in the top 33 in the area . We managed to get a same day reservation on the internet which in itself is unusual as top restaurants you have to book months in advance . The restaurant is minimalist in its decor , wooden tables and chairs . As we sat down we were given the dinner menu of the day , 4 courses and no choice . We chose a bottle of white wine that was bought to us opened and left on the table , 5 minutes passed and I asked the waiter for a wine cooler , he asked me why as the wine is the correct temperature!! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, the White wine was from the fridge and he didn’t think we needed to keep it cool !! I was asked by another waiter if I had any allergies which I haven’t however I told her that I do not like butter visible on my food , we were then presented with a pre meal snack that was sweet corn swimming in butter , you couldn’t make it up . The dinner menu was mushrooms and egg yolk , hake sea greens , guinea fowl , summer pudding , there was nothing special about anything . We have eaten at the other local restaurant in the worlds top 50 (the Clove Club) and there is no comparison. Definitely not recommended !!!!!

Date of visit: August 2019
3  Thank phillipg601
Reviewed 9 October 2019

One of the best meals I had for a long time. The restaurant is very simple and unprepossessing - no marks for style or decor - but that belies the quality of the food. You are not given a choice and the menu is heavily meat-based (there is a vegetarian but the influence is obviously St Johns). But have trust in the kitchen and you will be served delicious dishes. The food is not what I would describe as spectacular or flashy but straightforward, locally sourced, imaginative and superbly cooked. Every dish, and every element is each dish, makes you stop and think about what you are eating.
The wine list is eclectic, no obvious labels, but has been carefully selected to match the food. And you can order by the glass. So again, trust the restaurant and enjoy the wine!
The service was casual and friendly but, more importantly, knowledgable and helpful.
The set menu is not cheap but excellent value for the quality and the service.
Not to be missed.