“Generally excellent but occasionally lacking a bit of polish”

The Clink Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 25,288 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 26 - USD 39
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Clink Restaurant at HMP Brixton opened in February 2014 as the third restaurant operated by The Clink Charity in the UK and offers up to 30 prisoners full-time work within the restaurant and kitchen. Prisoners train towards gaining nationally recognised City & Guilds NVQs before returning to their cells at the end of the working day. Upon their release, The Clink Charity helps graduates find employment within the catering and hospitality industry. The restaurant is a flagship example of a unique charitable project that is committed to reducing reoffending rates, in partnership with HMPS. The restaurant positively promotes the rehabilitation and reintegration of prisoners and also champions the wealth of quality, fresh and organic produce available throughout the UK with many vegetables and herbs being sourced from the prison gardens. The restaurant is located in the former Governor's house built in 1819, the 120-cover restaurant is available for exclusive hire. Breakfast is served from Monday to Friday between 8:15am and 10:30am, and lunch is served from Monday to Friday between 12pm and 3pm. This must be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Available for exclusive hire, The Clink Restaurant boasts 5 private dining rooms that offers projector and AV facilities making it perfect for meetings, conferences and presentations.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I went with a party to a lunch at this restaurant and I had an excellent meal, with a lovely seafood terrine followed by well-cooked venison, but there were a couple of little niggles. The first, which didn't affect me directly, was that the one vegetarian on our table seemed to be waiting for quite some time after the rest of us had been served to get their main course. When it came to the sweet I was the one who had to wait, but when it did come my sweet it was very different in its presentation - lovely tart with crisp thin pastry on my plate, while the others had relatively thick and not very uniform pastry; it has to be said though that both versions tasted very good, it was just a matter of presentation.
The staff were generally friendly and attentive, and everyone had a good time - but you do need to remember that you need to allow plenty of time to get in and out.

1  Thank mikehL5607PV

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic experience ! My daughter got me this for my birthday. From the minute we arrived it was great! Obviously there are security procedures to follow but once you have completed these you forget you are actually in a prison! The service is exceptional , Sammy our waiter was very attentive and would put professional waiters to shame especially as he told us he had only being working the restaurant for a month.
The food was outstanding quality and well presented . I would highly recommend this experience .

1  Thank HTW46
Reviewed 3 April 2018

The whole experience from the moment you arrive is unique. We were enjoying it long before we even sat down for our food. Staff were really friendly and welcoming - some make it clear they like to chat, others were a little shy. Food was incredible, couldn't fault a thing, and bill comes to a fraction of what you'd expect to pay for that standard of eating.

2  Thank lauren635
Reviewed 27 March 2018

We had a great mid-week lunch here. Very interesting and valuable project. Delicious food and friendly service.

1  Thank jc25_travels
Reviewed 27 March 2018

This is a fabulous idea run by a charity to help give inmates a chance of getting an NVQ qualification and learning a skill. The atmosphere is fun-it's really bizarre walking into a prison-everyone was quite excited.
Service was spot on, food is really excellent. No booze allowed. Duck was beautifully presented, fish was excellent. Desserts were amazing.
I hope this feedback gets passed on to the inmates-I had tea at Fortnum and Masons and their service wasn't a patch on yours. Well done.
It was a birthday surprise and surprised I really was.
Thank you.