“Not good for plus-sized people”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hyde Park Rooms Hotel
Ranked #249 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2011

First off, the walk to the hotel to ABSOLUTLEY AGES. It was only one street away, but it felt like an eternity! After mouting the staris to get to the front door, our wrst fear were then confirmed... there was no lift at this 'establishment'.
The owner (Carole) was a proper Londoner and gave us a authentic experience of London. We huffed and puffed our way up one flight of steep stairs, but as we arrived at the room, it was very nice.
Breakfast was very small, only had one portion each, but lovely.
Overall, bar the walking, very nice experience (we even lost a bit of weight, but quickly put it back on again:))

Room Tip: Pack some hiking shoes for the stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyde Park Rooms Hotel

Reviewed 16 October 2011

This place is probably a good value place to stay in central London if what happened to us does not happen to you. First the good things: the location is probably one of the best you can get, as it is very centrally located next to Paddington Station and also Oxford Street where you can walk to, shops etc. The price is fair, and basically what you pay is what you get. A basic continental breakfast and a place to sleep. Don't expect more, or you will be disappointed. The furniture is very basic and the carpet looks like it has been there for ages. The beds were fine to sleep on. Nothing more to say.
Now to our experience there: After a stressful day with delayed flights and buses, I finally arrived to the hotel looking forward to a place to rest. I get told that our twin room is still occupied and that we got booked a room in the hotel next door. The room at the other hotel is dirty and depressingly old and dark, so I go back to the hotel and tell them I do not want to stay there. Suddenly I get told there is a spare double room left, so if we want we can have that. Here I did not understand why we did not get offered this room straight away instead of being sent off somewhere else. Afterwads i get told the room has not been cleaned yet, but that I can stay there and wait for my friend to arrive. The room did not get cleaned that day, so at the end we did not know whether we were sleeping with used blankets or not. We were told we would get clean towels, which we only got after asking for them twice. We did not get any receipt for the payment of the stay although being promised this was going to be left in our room. We were told we could have our reserved twin room the next day, but the next day we got told this was not possible because the sink or sthg had to be repaired. That day we were quite disappointed about the attention so far, and decided to write our comments on Tripadvisor. I reckon it was too rushed and we should have waited until we got the final conclusion after the next 2 days of our stay. The next days were ok, and the owner was friendly to us, so we regretted our impulsive comments we had written before. The morning of our departure, the owner suddenly knocks on our door, asking us in a rude manner when we were thinking to leave, and that the sooner we left the better it was. I did not know what she was talking about until she started murmuring things about unfair etc. and walked away. I noticed she had read our previous comments now published on Tripadvisor. As we felt we were being kicked out of the hotel, we did not even have time to take a shower whatsoever but had to pack our things and leave. The owner did not seem to want to solve the matter in a different way, but instead asking us to leave as we were now somehow "unwanted guests". I do not think this is the correct way to handle such situations, and we felt quite maltretaed at the end. No apologies or willingness to ask us why we felt we had not been given the orrect attention before - maybe we could have offtaken our "unfair" comments from Tripadvisor if she had reacted in a different way. I have indeed erased our previous comments because I agree they were too impulsive, nevertheless we hope they start caring more about what guests have to say and taking criticism in a constructive way.
Ps: One more thing is the booking system is outdated having to give out your credit card number by email or by fax to make the reservation, which will probably back off alot of people from reserving in this place.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anutka
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My wife and I arrived late afternoon after an overnight flight and delayed connection from Montreal, so we were pretty exhausted upon arrival. We'd asked for two twin beds, as we have sleeping problems and need more room than a double bed offers; unfortunately this wasn't available yet but we were given an extra room for the first night at no extra charge. Afterwards, a second bed was put in our room so it was fine in the end.

My wife is vegetarian and I don't eat pork so we did not try the breakfast (you can smell the bacon in the hall!).

The rooms are an OK size considering the location and especially the price. The stairs are indeed very steep, as mentioned by several other reviews. I didn't find this to be a problem but others might. However, I wouldn't mention it to the lady running the hotel because I made a passing comment that she took as a complaint when it was just an observation! We also had to make up our own do-not-disturb sign because our first morning she knocked loudly on the door asking if anyone was home (this was after our 36-hour day so we were pretty exhausted). Once again, there were no problems after that.

The room was pretty clean, although the carpet looks like it's been there quite a while. The bathroom is very small, the shower especially. If you're a large person, you may not fit. Hot water was fine, although the way the shower head is set up and given the size of the stall, it's hard to avoid getting sprayed in the face while showering. However, it was perfectly adequate.

The hotel was fairly quiet and our room overlooked the back so no street noise, either. We felt secure enough to leave cash in the room and sure enough, nothing happened to it.

Overall, it was a place to sleep and not much more, but that's plenty good enough for us. It got the essentials right: cleanliness, quiet, location and price. On our next trip to London I'd first check whether any of the fancier hotels have a special on their rates, but if not then I would feel comfortable coming back here. At the price we paid per night (£70) and in this location, it's a very good deal.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mtltraveller_8
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Hotel is located whithin 2 minutes walking from Paddington station. The room was very clean when we checked in and it was cleaned everyday througout our stay. the TV is old and you have like 4 stations but who needs a TV when you are visiting London.
The staff are very nice and helpful.
I wanted to change my room from double to single for the last night and informed them about it in the very last minute, yet they agreed to change the room for me and to fix the rate.
Overall, I would highly recommend the hotel for the budget travelers who are looking for a clean and convenient place to stay when in London and I would definitely stay again during my next trip to London!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the street (they come with a balcony). and definitely ask not to have...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I was expecting this place to not be great but I booked it anyway because the price and location can't be beat. Our room was pretty small but average for London. The room in general was fairly clean and basic but the carpet was incredibly old and dirty. There was a very small TV on the desk with two channels. The mattress was comfortable enough and the bed was made every day. The bathroom was pretty small and the shower could barely fit one person in it. The stream coming from the shower was so wide which made it difficult for me to wash my hair. I also found mold growing in the shower in a few spots. At least our towels were changed every day.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple