The Lord Milner
    • Bar/Lounge
      Annexe Hotel(London)
      • Breakfast included
      Good 3.5/5
      All reviewsvictoria stationfour poster bedgarden suiteebury streetempire roomrose roomcity roomsunset roomgreat locationsmall hotelgatwick expressbreakfast is servedb and blady on receptionsloane squarequiet streetgood size
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 22 February 2012

I chose this hotel because of it's proximity to both Victoria Train Station and Bus Terminal.... Also I liked the area very much having walked through here many times during a stay at the Grosvenor.
      Following a dawn arrival at the bus terminal, I walked a few hundred yards and was there.... wonderful!, and even more wonderful.... my room was actually available....at 7am. All boded well. From memory, I had the Sunset room, on ground floor more or less behind the Reception/Entry. Angle of the room door was such that suitcase had to be manoeuvred in with myself , room size was ok, (I am....not tall! and on my own), a well made queen bed, (seemed larger than a double); and bathroom was fine, nicely tiled and shiny. Not sure why the room was titled 'Sunset', the decor was pleasant but neutral.
      THREE ISSUES.....NO.....4
      1. Hot water for the bath was not forth coming, it required timing, in reference to time in evening and hearing when upstairs guests were running water.
      2. the noise from upstairs guests and water/toilets.
      3. there was some sort of either heating or air conditioning or mechanical whatever machinery that was obviously on cycle would start up and clunk, whir, hum and at a point in maximum function.....fever pitch, the room would vibrate briefly....how often would this happen you ask ? every few hours, day and night. This was located outside in backyard of building very near to 'Sunset' room external wall......felt as though it was attached to the wall !!!
      4. There was a bulkhead for downstairs internal staircase, at the bed end of the room upon which sat the TV and Tea tray. This shelf? bench? was very deep, there was a power point in the wall behind, I am somewhat vertically challenged, I had to open the wardrobe door (along side), stand on the bottom frame of wardrobe to give height therefore increase my reach to plug in the kettle with tips of fingers. I do not recall other suitable, accessible power points.
      The road is nice and quiet. The bed was very comfortable, the tea tray refilled along with chocolates every morning, which was appreciated. The room was comfortable......the weather during my stay of 4 nights was mild. I have noted 'sleep quality' as very good...... because the bed was very comfortable.....and I walked MANY miles and was zonked by the end of the day......and slept..... though the machinery was in action prior to lights out, roused me during the night and whirred away in the early (7 amish) morning.
      Would I stay here again.......No. There is another Hotel just down the road I would book in advance to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
      5  Thank florafen
      Reviewed 13 February 2012

As with others, it's a very small facility with either a tiny room or a very big room. I guess they have about 10 rooms in all. The temperature in the room could have been better. It was comfortable for the single night stay but I did have the entire width of the property for my room. They have a strange arrangement for breakfast, as they have no dining room you order and they deliver to your room. Not worth the money, go around the corner and get some yourself in one of the many breakfasts joints. If you are staying for location then I do recommend but get a deluxe room, worth the extra space.

Room Tip: Get a Deluxe Room, worth the money for the space.
      • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
      1  Thank CasaMurguia
      Reviewed 31 January 2012

The (self-advertised?) 5* rating might be a bit farfetched, as there seems to be a minimum of staff (we met the receptionist, that's it) and lack of facilities, e.g. bar or minibar (there is a fridge with water, though) or luggage storage room - the small "lobby" started to get filled with luggage of guests that checked out already.
      Our Club room, located in the lower floor, was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Obviously it recently received some paint, as we still could smell.
      Nevertheless, great price/value and just ideal if you do not want to stick with the usual hotel chains, yet value a decent room. We'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
      Reviewed 8 December 2011

Pretty much as above in the tag-line. The Lord Milner is beautifully decorated, but so small. It felt relatively suffocating as far as I was concerned. Although it had a great location I think we would have been better off spending our money elsewhere. We didn't bother with breakfast; we'd already spent far too much on the room for one night, and I'm glad we didn't judging by the reviews below.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
      3  Thank hl349
      Reviewed 26 November 2011

I stayed in the Lady Milner room for two nights on a solo work trip to London. I would have given it an "average" rating but for some significant (but fixable) issues with my stay.

On the plus side:

The hotel itself is well-kept and has friendly service. Also the hotel is conveniently located on a pleasant small street. The Lady Milner room is quaintly decorated in an antique fashion, but with a modern bathroom that was spotlessly clean.

On the down side:

-- If someone is staying upstairs from the room, footsteps and plumbing are clearly audible;
      -- The double bed is two small beds pushed together. I know this is normal for European hotels, but I still find it uncomfortable and worth mentioning;
      -- The internet service did not work. The codes I was given did not even correspond to available networks, and the house network was barely functional;
      -- The shower drainage barely worked, meaning I was standing in ankle-deep water within a few minutes.

Since a decent shower and internet service are pretty high priorities for me, I had to give the hotel a "poor" rating. But the internet and shower issues are fixable. My co-workers who have stayed in the area have also mentioned the Lime Tree Inn and The Orange Public House -- having not stayed at either (yet) I can't rate them, but you may want to consider those as options as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business