“Good food, resistant to tastecard offer”

Jamon Jamon Islington
Ranked #2,736 of 24,835 Restaurants in London
Price range: USD 13 - USD 26
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Called up to book a table about 15 minutes before I arrived and was told there was one spare for me & my friend. I mentioned that I’d be using a taste card and suddenly there was no table available - apparently you need to book 24hrs ahead, according to the website they said (I see no mention of 24hrs at all). The manager then hung up after I said it had no mention online. I called back a few minutes later, pushing my luck… The manager said the phone had cut out, and I had to push the case that we were going to be sitting down, drinking some wine & eating… It was extra covers for them… I’ve never had to persuade a business to take my custom before.

We got in and we made our order. The staff mentioned we’d ordered quite a lot and we should wait and see how we felt before ordering more. We felt we’d ordered a reasonable amount of food so couldn’t help but suspect they were trying to dissuade us from taking advantage of the offer as much as we wanted to. Still, we got all we asked for and we even had dessert. Never in doubt.

Then, the third strike. This I could almost forgive them for. It’s an easy mistake to make for inexperienced staff, but given the resistance we’d faced we were expecting some “confusion” with the bill… The bill came a little higher than expected. On inspection, they had charged us TWICE for two dishes. We queried the issue and they corrected the bill immediately, removing the more expensive of the double charged plates of tapas. An easy mistake to make, but in the context of our experience, it really made us wonder…

Now, the food. We enjoyed all of the food. With the taste card it’s extremely reasonably priced and so I’d recommend on that basis. Lots of traditional rich spanish tapas and a delicious house red (they assumed we ordered a large, when in fact we only wanted normal size).

For dessert, I had churros. Delicious and freshly made but lacking cinnamon sugar.

Lessons learnt though, be firm with knowing your taste card rights - they tried to pull the wool over our eyes but we overcame.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

A group of 7 us ate here about 6pm on a Saturday night. We all ordered 2-3 tapas each and a few patatas bravas for the table. The food came out very quickly and it was all tasty, delicious and a good portion size.We all shared it all and got to try lots of different things which is a fun and social way to have a meal. I particularly liked the cod, the ham croquettes and the goats cheese with orange honey.
The atmosphere was fun and lively and the staff friendly. They all seemed to be Spanish which made it seem quite an authentic restaurant. It was my husband's birthday and they bought over a free dessert with a candle in all singing which was a nice touch. Over all a really fun, delicious meal at a reasonable price!

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I had dinner there with my partner few days ago, we had pimientos del padron, chips with blue cheese and seafood paella for 2 with a bottle of wine. The food was amazing and the bill was about 50 pound. We came in around 7 and even if on the door said "open" they didn't seem ready to have customers in. The service was fine though.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

The restaurant has a nice and cosy feel to it. Nothing pretentious about it at all.
The tapas - chicken croquettes and patatas bravas were tasty and very filling.
They have a 2 4 1 offer on the Sangria, which tasted nice.
The staff were very friendly and attentive.

The only negative that I can mention is that there seems to be some work going on with the upstairs section (the toilet area), which lets the place down slightly.

Overall very nice, would recommend and would go again.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

It's a mini chain, but it still has a lovely back-street tapas feel. The portions are unbelievably generous. The fantastic pork cheeks and octopus stood out.