“Could have been 5 Star but the scones were terrible ”

Afternoon Tea at Claridge's
Ranked #4 of 1,240 Coffee & Tea in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: At Claridge's we've been observing this delightful aspect of our nation's culinary heritage for the best part of 150 years. For a century or more, our Executive Chefs have remained faithful to the classic combination of finger sandwiches, scones served warm, and sweet pastries. Our ingredients are painstakingly sourced, skilfully prepared and served fresh each day. The centrepiece of afternoon tea is, of course, the drink itself. Our wonderful tea connoisseur, Henrietta Lovell, has scoured the world to bring us delicious tea from small, little known producers from the four corners of the world. Working hand in hand with our Executive Chef, Martyn Nail, they have carefully selected teas that will complement your food perfectly. Set in the splendour of Thierry Despont's magnificent Foyer, inspired by the 1930s' heyday of art deco, Afternoon Tea at Claridge's is truly a magical experience.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

So I love the entire vibe of the afternoon tea and Claridge’s and their china gets me every time, but I can’t get over how bad their scones were. Seriously over cooked and just not good. The sandwiches were OK but on the plain side-the onion bread one was my favorite and the cucumber needed something more- maybe less cucumber more cream cheese? The pastries were beautifully presented but most were just OK- except for the blueberry lemon which was AMAZING!! I also loved the cello/violin playing throughout the service. They did some nice modifications for the kids tea- ice cream cones and cupcake desserts but the same sandwiches which for me was a miss. Service was impeccable! I want this to be my favorite afternoon tea in London but they need to learn how to make proper scones.

Jim_P_Lyons, Food and Beverage Manager at Afternoon Tea at Claridge's, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear W6Raven,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of your recent visit to Claridge’s for afternoon tea. I note that you have enjoyed the service experience but unfortunately there have been shortfalls in the quality of food on this occasion. Rest assured I have taken time to discuss further with our culinary team. The team are constantly looking to maintain and improve on the level of service and culinary offering to which your feedback is much appreciated. I do hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Claridge’s in the near future.

Kind regards,

Jim Lyons

Reviewed 2 April 2018

I planned this trip to claridges for my wife's birthday,, what an experience !!,
We were treated as if we were the only people dining the waiters were so friendly and also the managers , the decor in every area of claridges was truly amazing it was like stepping back in time like falling into a downtown abbey set,
The assorted sandwiches were so very tasty how can ham or chicken taste so amazing and we had several different type of tea during our visit, the scones cream jam were again so tasty the jam was called a jelly ( made from flowers a tea ) I know sounds strange but taste delicious,
Then came the cakes wow !!! Again amazing flavours no good for the diet hahaha !
The whole experience was so memorable we eat for two and a half hours , there was a grand piano and a celloist playing the whole time , yes it was expensive but worth it , it was a bucket list experience, and as it was my wife's birthday they brought a small cake with a candle on it ,, cream tea anywhere else will never be the same,, thank you claridges for wonderful day

1  Thank mgwilcox
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We visited Claridges to celebrate a special birthday for my husband and also for my sister's birthday. We waited in The Fumoir where we were treated to amazing warm and friendly hospitality by the staff. We enjoyed delicious cocktails and this were accompanied by tasty complimentary nuts and green olives.
We were escorted tours our table by a friendly hosted and we're waited on by Geraint for the length of our tea. He was charming and courteous and entertained us with his knowledge of tea and the tasty morsels and delights we were to sample.The sandwiches were delicious and moist with a wide choice of filling. They were followed by a wonderfully created 'egg fondant' with mango used for the yolk. A delightful tease and exceptionally tasty. Hot cross buns reflecting the season were quickly relished tasting spicey and warming.
Finally a glorious array of tasty pastries and the most light scones ever tasted! All accompanied by a glass of chilled champagne. Unable to eat all our afternoon tea we were able to 'takeaway' the rest alongside a little Easter gift.
A wonderful afternoon experience at a beautiful hotel.
Only one point to make I fear the white jackets worn by the waiters had seen better days as they were very discoloured.
Please thank all your staff for a memorable afternoon. Every member of your team ,from the moment we stepped in front of the hotel, we a credit to their training themselves and the hotel. Congratulations.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

We try to have afternoon tea every few months, and so we have experienced many! - Claridge’s is by far one of the best.

We arrived early and were seated straight away. The tables are not too close together like some places which is nice.

The server was very prompt and very nice - usually i have found the wait staff to be pre occupied or hard to understand, not the case here - very friendly and attentive but not intrusive.

Sandwiches were lovely, and we had a small plate of seconds. The scones with Claridge’s ‘tea jam’ were lovely - the jam is very light so it stops you getting too full.
The cakes were yummy, and we saw a table near by with some children having ice cream
So our surver brought us ice cream each as well!

The experience was topped off with a small gift to take away.

I was very impressed with how relaxed the atmosphere was - they have got it spot on

1  Thank Zoe J
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing afternoon tea. Lovely selection of finger sandwiches, beautiful pastries & scones with Marco Polo jelly & cream. Superb selection of teas to choose from. Champagne also available. Staff extremely helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

1  Thank Colywobble

Been to Afternoon Tea at Claridge's? Share your experiences!