“Lovely hotel in an excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Montagu Place Hotel
Ranked #102 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in an excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We really enjoyed our three nights stay. The hotel is very nice and the staff are friendly and eager to please. We had breakfast as it was included in our booking deal. However, had we had to pay extra I would have been rather disappointed! I am quite happy with continental breakfasts, but as mentioned by a previous reviewer the jams, cheeses etc were all catering style pre-packed offerings! It would have been nice to have had the choice of some fresh British cheeses. One other negative - on the second evening I opened a bottle of the, thoughtfully provided, complimentary water and found it was the previous days empty which had been re-filled with tap water! I did report it and the lovely young man at reception was most apologetic and provided me with a replacement. I would put this down to, maybe, a little laziness on the part of whoever serviced our room that day

This does sound rather negative, but in fact we really enjoyed our stay and would return. The hotel is clean, comfortable and in an excellent location. The staff are friendly and eager to please. We stayed in a comfy room and it was plenty big enough for us.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michal M, General Manager at Montagu Place Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do appreciate all your comments and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your comments and suggestion regarding our breakfast. We will review all of your points to see how we can improve.

I can reassure you that the bottles are tamper proof and we do not by any means refill them, let alone with the tap water.

I am looking forward your next stay with us.

Kind Regards
Michal Michalik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Whilst having arranged for my folks to stay here when it first opened, my recent two nights here was the first time that I got to lay my head down myself.

Whilst prices have inevitably gone up since it opened, there's no denying that this remains one of the nicest boutique hotels in the capital. The small touches were evident throughout - a proper cafitiere in the room with biscuits and water, mid-size Molton Brown products and excellent linens. I think that I had the same room as the poster below and whilst it was very small, was cosy and perfectly adequate for me.

I too would advise against breakfast and head round the corner to Canteen as they do a decent eggs benedict and rhubarb compote for breakfast.

Service is charming and they could not do enough to help (even ducking out in the pouring rain to hail me a cab to the airport).

Now into the price bracket of some of the plush larger chains, but I would still make every effort to stay here when I am back.

Location is absolutely superb. Short walks to the park and to Oxford Street and very close to the superb Galvin de Luxe bistro.

Room Tip: Check their website - am confident it offers you the best prices and you can see incrementally how m...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank BartyCrouch
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I read that the rooms were small so booked a Swanky room and was glad I did as even this room was not overly large. It was well appointed, however, with complimentary water, fruit and tea and had both a bath and a shower (the bathroom could have used a few more towels though).

The location is great--a short cab ride from Paddington and close to Baker Street and its tube stop. The staff are incredibly nice, warm and helpful but they are from outside the UK so English skills and local knowledge vary.

The reception area doubles as the bar so liquid refreshment--both alcoholic and non--is available around the clock. The breakfast, however, was sad--lots of packaged foods so I would recommend going around the corner to Canteen on Baker Street instead.

The experience was very homey and personal and the Montagu is a good choice for those interested in small townhouse hotels. (like many hotels in this category this is probably not a good choice if stairs are a problem).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Aylesbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife. Great location, walking distance from Marylebone and Baker St. stations and within easy travelling distance to most of London's sites, but far enough from the main roads to ensure that the local bars and restaurants weren't full of tourists (would recommend the Bee Hive pub and Ishtar Restaurant). Staff are exceptionally polite and helpful . Most surprising was how quiet it was, we had a room on the top floor facing the back and we never heard a sound at night.

Minor criticism was that our room was quite small

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We were given a room one flight up from the reception. It was small, and quite tight walking around the bed. But we got a good deal for the one night we stayed there so I thought the size of the room was adequate. The bathroom is also small, just enough room for one person. The edge of the door just grazes the edge of the sink when you open/close it. The shower stall itself had lots of room.

Aside for the size of the room and bathroom, I really liked this hotel. The room had a high ceiling with a nice view of this quiet, little street behind the building. Walls were painted a lovely pale lavender colour with white trim. The bathroom was stocked with Molton Brown toiletries. And the bed! It was high, soft mattress without being too soft, the sheets were of high quality, pillows were fluffy yet firm, and duvet was not very thick yet was so warm and heavy. They also had a tray full of complimentary tea, coffee, water, and biscuits.

I don't mind how big or small a hotel room is, it's the little details that counts. And this hotel definitely paid attention to the little details. The location is ideal as well. The street itself is quiet, no car/crowd traffic and it's a short ten minutes walk to main Oxford Street.

The staff was very kind and willing to help you with anything.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple